Disgusted by this 'advice' on another forum

Giles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was skimming the internet as i have a problem with one of my Axolotls refusing to eat (on another thread) and came across this:

Axolotl - Suddenly got fat, not eating - Overclockers Australia Forums

I was absolutly horrified with the 'advice' give by Urban Jungle about an Axolotl not eating.

'Pull it out of the water and stick it in a bowl with a couple of MM of tap water in it just to keep it moist. Better yet any rain water you can find lying about.

As for temperatures thats ****. Axolotls or Mexican walking fish can live in anything even in no water. I found some in a throwout once in rancid water sitting in full sun AND they had been there for days. I have also made one go salamander style ie no water just a moist environment. '

And the worst bit: 'They don't have to live in water as they have lungs as well as external gills. When you take him out you will see him heaving (don't worry) then they will spit out all the water inside them and away they go. Time outside of water. Forever. Its really cool. When they dry out (thats why I said a few mm of water) their skin goes hard and then sheds. Gills fall of and they turn into a lizard. Chuck them back in and they go back to their aquatic state ie gills grow back, skin goes soft.

I used to only feed mine outside of the water and waited for them to **** before putting them back in the tank
smile.gif
. Basically mine came out twice weekly.

As I reckon it is rooted if you do nothing I would start trying to fix it as to me taking a lizard to a vet is crazy. You may want to spend hundreds of dollars on a $10 lizard, your call. Anyway be as careful as possible but dont be fussed if you break something as it will repair. I'd do stuff like get its mouth open how ever you can to see if something is in there. Slice it open if you have to with a scalple or stanley knife. If it looks ok slide a chopstick down it just to make sure. Get a seringe from the chemist and stick it into its gut. This will either release any gas buildup or at least let any **** in there to drain. Not being able to open its mouth at all is a worry especially if you want to bring it out of the water and make it a land dweller. ALL A. Once you have its mouth open shove a piece of air hose down there and blow in and out to make sure its lungs can inflate/deflate.'

I can't believe im reading this.... :sick::angry:

Last edited:
Please tell me you've joined and reported this thread? it's disgraceful can you imagine the uproar if this had been a cat or a dog? why has nobody deleted that post?:mad:

Please tell me you've joined and reported this thread? it's disgraceful can you imagine the uproar if this had been a cat or a dog? why has nobody deleted that post?:mad:

Carl, this advice was on another forum not caudata so dont worry!

I was and then realised it was dated 2004. What ever damage has been done, i couldnt tell if it was a joke or not, it sounds like hes taking the piss! The person is completely ignorant. Seemed a bit random it was on a compouter website.

Wow, that advice is fractally wrong...impressive!

OC is supposed to be a forum for over clocking computer hardware and such, not how to look after sick pets! As an aussie, I'm ashamed and appalled by the advice that was given. I do hope that the person took the other advice and signed up here!

ah I see the date no... at least someone directed them to caudata.org

He gives advice about force-feeding it to, Something i would never do but just for the record is this adviseable to do in any circumstance? Just doesnt seem like it too me.

Last edited:
A person like that should never be keeping axies. Rah!

He gives advice about force-feeding it to, Something i would never do but just for the record is this adviseable to do in any circumstance? Just doesnt seem like it too me.

Yes if the axolotl is on the verge of death then yes but it shouldn't be done as described it should be done this way http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...olotl/70199-how-force-feed-adult-axolotl.html it is still risky in fact I have had an axolotl die from force feeding:( (R.I.P Axle:angel::sad:)

Sam

omg that thread needs to be taken down, anyone that finds it may believe what he is saying, and if they do you never know how many axies are suffering in hot temps and being taken out of there water! omg im horrified!

Chill out guys , the world is full of **** advice and muppets happy to accept it.

That is worse than awful. People like that just shouldn't be allowed to exist in our world.
Poor, poor, innocent Axolotl. :'(

Yeah I don't understand that, if anyone saw that then hopefully they did more research other than JUST THAT...that just goes to show you can't trust everyone online, that person should be sent to PETA and beaten lol

that person should be sent to PETA and beaten lol[/QUOTE]

lol those tree hugging hippys would be too busy crying to beat anyone up, also its ineffective to educate people through violance , dialogue and reason should be used teach people the correct facts which will then positively influence their behaviour. Violance should only be resorted to if its funny lol, thought i was a liberal/hippy did you? haha

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back