Illness/Sickness: RAH!!! I shouldn't be keeping axies.

Morrison

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
RAH! This is sooo frustrating and I'm starting to hate myself!

I have axies for 1 and a half year right now and it looks like I just can't take care of them properly.
Everytime it's something else. And no not just the things like fungus or other things that are easy to identify...
No... Things that make me wonder what's causing it but I can't find WHAT'S causing it!
Things that won't go away whatever I do. Things, freaky things.

Why is this always happening to me? It's so annoying and I know you're sometimes trying to help me but most of the time you also don't know the answer and that makes me feel even more like a desperate person... *Sigh* :(

Okay the problem is...
My axies are scratching their gills.
Maybe there's something stuck: Nope.
Maybe there's fungus on it: Nope, there was a little dot once but all gone now.
Maybe the water parameters: They were a little weird and the temperature was too hot, but everything is getting back to normal, but still the scratching.

Okay, so the water parameters right now are:
pH: 6.8
KH: ± 6
GH: 4 (Pretty much always the same)
NO2: 0
NO3: 10... (Last week it was 25... so I'm happy to see a change)

Ammonia: 0,1. Never got any higher than that, it always said 0 and I wondered if the test was accurate and actually working until it said 0,1 once).

I restarted the whole tank (the tank I tested is still a tank with the old water) because maybe there's a parasite in the water or so... Still cycling now. Waiting for the axie to put in.

But I've checked water (and I 'vacuum sucked' my axies gills with a little syringe to try to suck up a 'parasite' if it was there) and I didn't see a thing. Just a few normal water creatures... No flukes or other things...

I also don't see anything on the gills.

The frilly things are disappearing and the last week one of my axies died. (But I guess she was already sick. She didn't want to eat often. Very thin axie. The previous owner didn't care much about her. So I'm not 100% sure if anything had to do with this. I guess a little, maybe that the SOMETHING made her weaker and killed her)

Anyway... I did some extra water changes and I cleaned as much as I could.

Then I found out that it's probably because there is no aeration in the tank. Also hot water has less air in it so that sounded like a possible reason. (It was pretty hot a while ago and it's finally getting less. My room gets really hot sometimes)
So I added an air pump to the tank. Guess that would fix it... finally...
But right now I still see the scratching move.

I HATE THIS! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!

It's a 70 cm wide tank and filled up wuth about 42 L of water. No lid, no light. An internal filter in the corner, which I also clean when I do water changes... And right now an air stone. Sand on the bottom, 2 hiding places and a PVC pipe and all the other things that used to be in the tank are out. (I was thinking: the less is in the tank the less dirt will get stuck between it)

I know that 70 cm isn't much for 2 axies or so... (I've seen worse: 60 cm tanks with 5 axies in it...) so maybe I can use the 90 cm tank soon once everything is back to normal.

*Sigh*

Please let there be someone SOMEONE who can help me out. I don't know what to do anymore. I want to give up if it goes on like this.

Right now I use Tetra EasyBalance to keep the water parameters stable and right now the temp. is about 22 :( My room gets pretty hot, but I don't think it's the only reason.

Also Xotl is pooping weird. No big poos like most axies. Little lighter bits scattered around the tank. It's not poo that has been 'stomped on' but I've seen it coming out of him like that. Is it diarrhea? Internal parasite? What to do? I feed them red wigglers and sometimes a few pellets (about 7 per axie, and more if they act hungry) and the other axie in the other tank is pooping perfectly.
Thread: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...scussion-free-all/78230-weird-poo-normal.html

So once again... ANY help will be appreciated. I know this is a load of HELP ME-ness and stuff, but please. Don't ignore this. I can't do this all on my own. I need your help right now.

I think you are trying to fix too much at once.

I've seen a few of your posts, you always seem to have a lot going on.

I'd look at it like a triage system in an ER.

Prioritise the problems.

You have different types of problems-

urgent / important - Immediate and life threatening problems - ammonia & temperatures

Urgent / not important - Things you want want to fix but are not life threatening - weird stools

Not urgent / important - Getting a bigger tank

Not urgent / not important - Air stones

Know what i mean? I'm not suggesting the list i wrote is the way to go, but you should catergorise your problems into order, and fix them one at a time.

If for example you change 3-4 things on your tank, then how do you know which one fixed the problem? Or, if the 3-4 changes cause a problem, how do you know which one caused the problem?

The exception to fixing one thing at a time is the life threatening stuff. Fix all of those immediately.

I'd say the biggest priorities for you would be the tank temp, and the ammonia.

Perhaps you need to get a chiller, and put more plants in, even use an ammonia blocker if you have to (last resort)

If the gill scratching, wierd poos etc is not life threatening, then they may "fix" just by getting the tank right.

My personal opinion (and it's just an objective opinion, so take it for what it's worth) is that you fiddle with your tank too much.

Slow down, make a list, fix the most urgent stuff (one at a time) and see how it goes.

Bren

take a deep breath in ......now out.......calm yourself down darlin....this is going to make it worse
We are always here to try and help.......
Have you thought about putting your axies in the fridge and go about gettting you tank fixed.......Could be the way to go
Is there any worm like things on the inside of the tank???

I've just had a look at the Tetra, and I'd stop it right now... It's producing carbon dioxide, not knocking out any of the nasties you actually NEED knocked out, and probably has some axie unfriendlies included. I'd suggest moving to Prime dechlorinator- you shouldn't need any more than that. (if not prime, get a simple dechorinator- no added phosphates or a list as long as your arm of additional benefits.)

Also, make sure you're changing out 2L/Day to 20% a week (So 14L is the minimum water change you should be doing a week).

As to your pH, it appears a LITTLE bit low, axies prefer it between 7 and 8, 7.5 being where to aim for- be slow with your changes if adjusting it, hopefully your tap water should be around 7.5 without the Tetra messing around with it.

For water temperature, go and find the largest desk fan you can and point it down on the water (I was able to keep my tank at 28c (without axies) on a 46c day using one).
Be careful about how often and how much you're cleaning your filter- you don't want to destroy your bacterial media.

Don't fret too much about your tank size- My three spent summer in a 20L/45cm long breeder tank to escape the aussie heat, and although there were crashes and parameter problems, we all survived the summer without any nibbled limbs (it's ironic that now they're out in the 4ft tank, at 5 instead of 6 (I added three, but lost George...) that we've had a limb get taken off- Freddie's now chillin' in the fridge :D)

And DON'T GIVE UP HOPE!!! Things happen. Tanks crash, legs get nibbled, axies get gill probs, but the fact that you CARE enough to try and rectify the problems shows great credit on your part, and I can guarantee that they are incredibly grateful!
Hang in there!

Meh, the problem is that I don't have a fan. I was thinking about a computerfan-set up thing but I'm not very technical. There's no room on my desk for a standard fan. (I almost have no place left for things like drawing etc) and my room is too small. Maybe I can find a tiny (but effective) fan thing. Or any suggestions. Things you can clip onto your tank or so? But not too pricy, because I don't have that much money.

Hm.. The fridge. I don't trust it. Once I've placed an axie in there, did daily water changes and everything that was told me to do. But she ended up with fungus on all the feet and looked terrible. Fridge wasn't too cold. And the last time I had an axie in there who was bloated, didn't want to poop but it also didn't work. She died by the way. So... You might understand why I don't trust that thing.

*Sees Xotl kicking gills again* :(

Hmm, I also use Tetra dechlorinator stuff. Is there a better one to use or is this one okay? (Oh... It's 'AquaSafe')

Every week I do water changes. And I guess it's about 20-25%. If it's too less I feel lazy. If it's too much I'm worried that everything will be out of control. Oh and the filter: I clean it about once or sometimes twice a month.

I'll get some life plants. They always died in my tank when I had them, or they end up destroyed (axies.... *sigh*) But I'll give it another try. Any suggestions what plants will be good to solve the ammonia thing a bit?
Are plants solving the ammonia problem actually? I never really understood that part of the water parameter/ammonia-thing.

Oh and there are no worms on the glass. The last time I had planaria was almost a year ago and they didn't scratch their gills (luckily). Suddenly they were gone.

Thanks guys.

Edit:
Is this an acceptable aquarium fan. It looks perfect (you can clip it on) and it's for about 40L... I don't know how to make one so buying one would be a solution.
http://cgi.ebay.nl/Multi-Fan-1-Fach-Ventilator-Kuhlsystem-Nano-Aquarium-/370310565640

Last edited:
plants do use ammonia, but if you only have .1 ppm's it's really not that big of a deal. Everyone probably has .1 ppm's of ammonia somewhere in their tank. If you don't have the proper lighting for plants I wouldn't get them just because their only going to die, and produce more ammonia then they use.

Neat trick: if you have a large tank with low flow test the water at the top of the tank, and then test the water at the bottom for ammonia. Chances are it's going to be a slightly different shade.

Thanks for the tip :D

Hey, I am still fairly new at this but I found when I had a fine white sand for the substrate it irritated my axies gills now I use something a little bit bigger still sand but it doesn’t cloud the water if they make sudden movements like the fine white sand did. I know how frustrating it can be I lost a axie to but when you get everything right they are much easier to maintain and rewarding :)

I'm so sorry things aren't looking well at the moment. I know exactly how you feel, I'm having similar problems with my Bettas... things just aren't going right. Beginning of the year I had about 30ish, now 1. It's frustrating, it's upsetting, and it really makes you question your animal caring abilities.

I agree with the advice above - focus on the ammonia and the temperature first, and it would make a difference. It MAY not fix all the problems at once, but will certainly help. Like Bren said, sometimes changing lots of things at once can make it 'a bit much', if you know what I mean.

Again with Carson, everybody does have SOME ammonia, and plants help suck it up. Just like trees for us, plants are great for axies. I recommend Java Moss, it's low light, grows fast, doesn't need to be planted - you can attach it to something, or just chuck it in. The axies love it, and will not destroy it. Amazon Frogbit is also a great plant, looks like mini Lilli-pads, provides shade cover for the axies, too.

Love to you, Morrison. Things will come better. You are surrounded by caring, knowledgeable people, and we can all see how much you care for your axies. It's tough, but good luck, I'm sure you'll get through this. x

Thanks! I just ordered a clip on fan. Hope it will arrive pretty quick. I guess it's a little better than a computer fan thing. I'll take a look at Java moss. I don't have much light so maybe it's a solution and maybe my axies will love it too, lol. (Do moss balls actually work too?)

I do have white sand actually. But the scratching does look more violent than when he has 'sandy gills'. So I guess the heat did a lot to them.

I also made a little vid about the axie who died. :( It's a pretty stupid little vid, but oh well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSqDoWmlDlI

Last edited:
...Okay....

And... Is there a reason that he's swimming around from left to right and scratching more in the evening at night? When I look at him in the afternoon he isn't doing it (that much).

Gosh... that's such a sad video!!! :(

As for more movement/scratching in the evening/night... I would assume it is because they are more active when at night time.
I did a study on salamanders for school the other week, called them 'secretive creatures of the night'. BURST OUT LAUGHING AT THAT. *ahem*.

Still no fan, but oh well.

I guess that might be the problem. Night'crawlers' lol.

OHHHH that video is so sad :(
I am just getting some axolotls and im freaking out about getting the tank ready for them:crazy:

Bye 'Nameless Axolotl' I never knew you but its sad you died :(:(:(

What a moving video so sad you obviuosly care about your axies alot. Im sorry to hear about your troubles. Axies seem to have a way of causing worry and frustration one minute then joy of owning them the next. Hope everything works out.

I don't know when the clip on fan arrives by mail... Until them I placed them both in a tub in a cool box. Not plenty of space but the good thing... It's cool in there. The water was about 18°C when I checked the last time. So better than 24...

I guess they're a little more happy at the moment. Not swimming around a lit, just chillin' :D
My babies are doing fine. They're in a cooler room (easier to transport, those little tubs)

I also don't see anything on the gills.
The frilly things are disappearing and the last week one of my axies died. (But I guess she was already sick. She didn't want to eat often. Very thin axie. The previous owner didn't care much about her. So I'm not 100% sure if anything had to do with this. I guess a little, maybe that the SOMETHING made her weaker and killed her)

Did you have nameless in with they guy your having the poo trouble/gill scratching with?

Im going to call a moderator to this cause i've been trying to help but i just dont know.:(

Yep. But Nameless didn't scratch. But also had some weird poo (or it was Xotl's poo, but I guess also her poo).

Hmm, tomorrow I'll get my fan by mail. They're doing OK now in the cool box so that's good right now.

Glad they are doing ok! Keep us updated.. all the best! x

Hmm, tomorrow I'll get my fan by mail.
Umm, read that as "tomorrow I'll be getting all my fan mail". Was going to say... what about the day after?

Lol lol! I guess my cat is my biggest fan.... That's all :')

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back