Newbie, some general questions..

Dexter

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Y'all.
I bean reading up on some stuff here, I'm a bit worried now about the temperature here in Perth, it gets hot, up to 40+ for a few months over the summer, and I'm not always here...
I could go back to the pet store I suppose, they sold them, but their store is air conditioned, my house isn't, and I work away so not always someone here.
I've red about the ice bottle method, but this coulod cause fluctuations in temp, hot and cold.
I'm thinking about getting a small refrigeration unit, the smaller the better, and running a siphon hose or filter through that?
Don't really wanna buy a fridge just for this?
Any suggestions on a small refrigeration unit, like an engell etc, but even smaller?
Guess I could look on ebay?
How's my tank set up look?
I had undergravel filter, but replaced it for the 'airstones' I got now, the fish don't seem to mind it, just worried about build up of nitrates etc. I suppose a filter, yeah?
My female is looking really fat, I was worried she was constipated, but she is passing okay. She seems happy enough, still eating. I took her out last time I clkeaned the cage, and she's soft, guess she's got eggs? I've had them both about 6 months.
If they are going to lay egss, can I let nature take it's course?
Will they eat any young? Thin down the population? Is it safe to have hatchlings in the tank with adults? I dont care if they eat them, just waste etc?
I often wonder if these fish wood survive in the wild, just a hypothetical... What wood happen if I released some in a stream or pond? Wood they survive? apart from predation wood they be able to set up a colony in say a small lake?
More foto's on my intro, these are taken today!
Cheers Y'all

Attachments

• 23082011210.jpg
    23082011210.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 327
  • 23082011211.jpg
    23082011211.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 330
  • 23082011212.jpg
    23082011212.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 293
some people have set up fans directed at there tanks during hot times, this may work for you, also if they have egg's u have to take them out of the tank as they will eat them, and if you don't want the eggs you will find alot of people on here that will want to raise them, like me, if your axies do lay egg's id love to have them/some of them as they do lay between 300-1000 eggs at a time. don't release them into the wild, if you decide you don't want them any more, you will be able to find someone on here that will adopt them im sure! please keep in mind that if they do lay eggs id really love some, they are easy to post and stuff and id pay for the postage! xD

First, I would get rid of the stones and gravel and replace with "play sand". Your auxies can very easily eat the rocks and gravel and die of impactation.

I do not want to discourage you but these guys may not be the right pet for you...They require a spot cleaning every two or three days and a 25% water change every week. Are you able to commit to that with not being home all the time?

You should consider some type of room air conditioner unit atleast to keep the temp down. The bottle method does not cause a huge flux in the temp. You can also wet towels, cover the tank with them and then put a fan on the tank the evaporation will keep the temp down. I have read that cooling machines are quite inefficent.

DO NOT let the young go into a local stream/pond/lake. They will not survive and they are an exotic species which may introduce unwanted parasites or disease into the local environment. Introduction of a new species to an environment is never a good idea these guys are strictly pets. Given the temps they will not survive any way.
PLEASE DO NOT RELEASE THEM.

The adults will eat the eggs or babies if left in the tank. You can also sell or give away eggs here on the forum to local people who can pick up or you can ship them.

A filter is not vital but the moving water will help increase evaporation hence cooling and oxygenation, make sure it is not very strong as the strong current will make them stress them and possibly make them sick.

Axolotls are not fish they are amphibians that evolved from two deep large lakes in Mexico. We like to keep things as scientific as possible.

Hello, welcome to the forum, Dexter.

Firstly, I would strongly recommend you get rid of those rocks - they are a perfect size for impacting your axies. Axolotls can and do swallow anything the size of their head, and smaller. Looking at your axolotl, I'm sure she is already full of rocks.
Sand or bare bottom is the best way to go. With sand, it looks great, is easy to clean, you get to see adorable axie footprints - but most of all, they cannot get impacted from it.

As for cooling, I know how Aussie Summer's can get - HOT.
The way to go is a chiller, they are expensive.. but worth it.
Also have a read of THIS article, on Aquarium Cooling.

I often wonder if these fish wood survive in the wild, just a hypothetical... What wood happen if I released some in a stream or pond? Wood they survive? apart from predation wood they be able to set up a colony in say a small lake?

Firstly, Axolotls are not fish. They are salamanders, so amphibians - in the same class as frogs and toads.
As for if they would survive, I doubt they would. It is also illegal to release captive animals into the wild - it can introduce foreign diseases (even if they are healthy), and run a risk to our native wildlife.
If caught, you would have yourself a VERY big fine.

I hope this helps you, good luck with your axie, and please keep us updated.

oh i just had a look at the photos u put up, u def need to listen to the other advice as u will be very surprised by how big of a stone an axie can swallow. also your black one, does it have a bit of fungus? or is it just the way the photo is taken? =/ there's 2 good threads you need to read if it does, the fridging and salt bath thread under sick axolotls. what ever you do, dont treat it with fish fungus treatments as they will poison axolotls. also a few more plants would be good in there too if you have them :)

One other quick thing, I suggest removing the apple snail.
Your axie MAY try to eat it. It may not, too - but do you want to take that chance?
It could possibly climb on your axie and suck it's slime coating off.
Have a lookie at SPECIES MIXING DISASTERS.

axolotl_snail.jpg

axolotl_snail.jpg

This axolotl tried to eat a snail, but was unable to either swallow it or spit it out. The snail had to be removed manually with a tweezers (by turning it around). The axolotl had a swollen mouth for some days but eventually started eating and returned to normal.
All the best. x

To coin an Aussie colloquism - Are you taking the piss Dexter?

I'm going to assume you are not, but it's really hard to tell.

* You need to go do a lot of reading here - Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander - everything you need to know is there re housing and looking after your axie.

* If you dont want them to breed, then get another tank and house them separately

* Something is not right with your golden, she isnt just "a bit fat" - possibly ingested one of those stones already - still passing waste is not in indication she doesnt have a stone in her, still passing waste just might mean the stone hasnt fully blocked her yet

* Get rid of the snail

* Get rid of the gravel and stones - use sand or bare bottom

* You can get a chiller here - Guppy’s Aquarium Products Online - the haileas are cheap

* Yes a filter is a good idea, if you get a Hailea chiller, you should possibly get a canister filter to run inline with the chiller (if you dont then you need a pump for the chiller)

* Hard to tell, is your tank a 2 or 3 footer? If 2, it might be a bit small for 2 axies, so if you can an upgrade to 3 foot would be good, but not the end of the world if you cant.

* Hypothetically, releasing your axies, eggs, or young would be the number one "stupid thing to do" on the "top twenty stupid things i could do" list. It is illegal, irresponsible, and if you do that i hope you get caught and fined - hypothetically.

If you really feel you have made a mistake and axies are not the "fish" for you (which i suspect is the case), then give them back to the store you bought them from, or give them away to someone on this forum who can take good care of them - y'all

Bren

hi ya,

I'm in Perth too and in summer its way to hot for my axies, i had to get a chiller last summer as the temp just rose too much, ( before i had one and she was fine in the "beer" fridge over summer, she was in there 2 months) but now i have 7 and had to get a chiller, a small haelia chiller is a good idea i run mine through a small filter, the filter pushes the water though the hose to the chiller, so temp good for the axies and the tank stays cleaner!, i also advise you to change the gravel/rocks to play sand, i got play sand from soils and soils bag cost $4, and i only need about a 1/4 of the bag, just wash it first in water to get out dirt so your tank doesn't go cloudy and put in tank about 1.5 cm deep. hope this helps you

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back