Question: New axies

priesty

Reaction score
Country
England
I'm getting 2 new axies this weekend, there 4-5"s and coming as a pair. I also have a single axie again 4-5"s, are they all ok to go in together?

My tank is 3ft and has 1 huge hide and 1 smaller one, the pair are obviously ok together however I'm not sure how my current juvenile is going to act when he/she has company.....

I'll have a White with white eyes (albino?) a golden and a melandiod? (black one)

Any advice would be very grateful :)

If they're all the same size, you should have nothing behavioral to worry about, and your tank seems big enough, BUT you need to quarantine your new axies for a month before mixing them, just to make sure they don't have any sicknesses that could be passed on to your current axie.
If you don't have another tank to put them in, you could keep them in a large plastic tub (think storage bin) for the month as a cheap option. You will just have to make water changes much more frequently.

Also, I'd suggest a couple more hides (2 per axie is a good rule of thumb). These could be logs, pots, plants... anything to make them feel safe and have space.

It is always important to quarantine ANYTHING living before adding it to your established tank.
Good luck!

Thanks,

I do have a spare tank, my current juvenile is in there as I have a adult which is in my main tank, he is being swapped for one of the other juveniles (I'm buying the other one to keep them as a pair)

My current juve will then go to my main tank and my new guys can go in my spare for a couple of weeks then. My main tank does have plants and afew litte crannies behind the hides so that should be fine.

I'm looking forward to seeing my juve explore my main tank :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back