Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding Frequency?

waster

Reaction score
Ive had my axolotls for 8 months now. i would guess that they probably sat in the pet store for at least a few months prior to me buying them.... as far as i know the two i got are among the last of the batch (regrown limbs etc.) both are very healthy. i guess they are adults at this point but i dont think they have reached adult size. approximately 7 inches id say, but without having that "girth"/thickness i see in pics of other axolotl ive was feeding them 2-4 times a week when they were juvies. they had periods over the holidays or when i was away when they were only fed once in a span of 10 days. they got through that with no issues it looks like this summer i started to feed them almost daily but at much much lower quantities is it better to feed them a few big meals or smaller portions on a more regular basis? i know most of what ive read states only a few feedings per week, but i dont see the problem with regular small feedings, which im actually thinking is healthier... opinions?

lea

Reaction score
I dont think it matters if they are fed 2 huge meals a week or if they are fed everyday with smaller ones. I know it gets hard for my kids to understand that the axies dont need feeding everyday. As long as your axies tummy isnt bigger that its head they are ok and healthy.

HappySkittles

Reaction score
I feed mine small meals once a day. And if I forget one day, then oh well...they wait till tomorrow! Or sometimes I just skip a day or 2 if I was feeling generous one day with feeding. They are healthy and I would assume happy. Just hanging around, doing your typical axolotl stuff.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1