Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: How do I tell if lottie has eaten a stone?

stephxy

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had a black spotted axolotl (imaginatively named Axy) for a few weeks now and she seems fine, but I've just gotten an albino (Lottie) to keep her company but it seems that she's come home with two extra companions in her belly... She was being keep in a tank with blue gravel, which seemed a little small for them, and now when I'm looking at her it looks like shes got two blue lumps in her belly. She also does not seem to be as active as Axy, but I was thinking that would just be due to her changing tanks a lot (transparently they only got her in yesterday).

How do I tell if these are actually stones, or just internal organs that I haven't been able to see on Axy due to her colouring?

I've also uploaded a picture (best I could get) of the suspicious blue 'lump' as well as some of the rocks from the pet store that got captured in the bag when they caught her. There also seems to be a smaller blue 'lump' on the her other side but I didn't want to move her round too much to try to get a photo of it.

Attachments

• DSCF2302.jpg
    DSCF2302.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCF2309.jpg
    DSCF2309.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 112

yellowpebble

Reaction score
Its hard to tell, my white axolotl hs that colouration too, and he is stone free. It could be her organs, but keep an eye on her. If you notice her acting strangley or not eating for long periods of time, it could be gravel.

stephxy

Reaction score
Definitely is stones, after many hours of reading post after post on here between calls at work I decided to fridge her. Her girl has coughed up one small on, but there is still one in there, you can hold you still and feel it and move it and it's quite distended :( the pet store has offered to take her back, but I dunno. I'm losing confidence in them and when I got my other baby she only had 5 gills! the sixth one has half grown back now (earning her the nickname stumpy) and she's clearly loving the new tank. Just worried about Lottie as she's still not looking great

xxianxx

Reaction score
Albinos, particularly small ones, are quite transparant and you can see the internal organs, they appear blue/black so you may have nothing to worry about as far as an impaction goes. Your albino has been moved from tank to tank so she may have become a bit stressed, give her a couple of days to settle in and start feeding, if she refuses to eat for a week and shows a deteriorating body condition you may want to consider fridging her for an impaction, though it may pass any remaining stones on its own. The albinos lack of activity may just be part of its character , some axolotls are constantly swimming about and others just chill in the tank doing very little.

yellowpebble

Reaction score
thats amazing! Leave her in the fridge some more and hopefully she passes the other one! I;m sorry you got her this way, however i do not think you should give her back. She will be in very poor conditions again, it would be best for the animal to stay with you. Believe me the pet store isn't going to change :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1