Poop

sneakysnake

Reaction score
Country
United States
It appears that I'm seeing a significantly larger amount of axolotl poop in my tank. I currently use a pipette to remove as much as possible but this is very time consuming. I was curious if anyone knows a better way to handle this or if I should be concerned.

i'm new to owning Axolotls, but i do have two comet goldfish and a black moor. i just do large water changes more often (about once a week). my fish don't seem to overly mind this.
failing that, you could try reducing the amount of food that you give them, or maybe try giving them a different kind of food or maybe a different brand?
Your local pet shop should know how to fix this kind of thing, so it might pay to give them a call if you don't find any good advice on here :)

Hope this helps!

I think the advice you find here is much more valuable than anything anyone at a pet shop might tell you, especially in the US

Use a bigger siphon and do small water changes. I just did maybe 10% on my tank right now to get the sand clean :) I had an algae bloom and the stuff growing around the tank is dying off so for the past week its been 10% or less a day or every other day to get all the debris out. Doesn't seem to bother my 4 axies one bit. They think it's food time and swim up to the siphon :p until they get too close and their little feet and gills get tugged.

How often do you do water changes?

I have an axie that poops in pieces. RAH!
I use a small net to scoop out the poo, and for the places that are harder to reach I use a vacuum-ish thingy. (Works on batteries, yay)

alrighty it sounds like I just need to get a siphon or something. Thanks for your help guys.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back