Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water levels for new born axolotls so they can feed?

Axie23

Reaction score
Hi,

my axolotls have started to hatch. only one so far, but the rest should follow in the next couple of days:happy:
i was wondering what the water level should be for them when they hatch? can they swim to the daphnia if they need to, or do they need to have alot of them in the tank they don't have to move too much?
i'm a little worried about this because i don't want them to die before i've even had a chance to raise them! ha ha.
i already have a few big (mother?) daphnia in the tank so that they can breed a few more daphs for the axols to eat, but am wondering if i should add any more?
do they prefer to eat the little daphs as opposed to the bigger ones? i'm a little confussed :confused:

Spartacus

Reaction score
If the daphnia is larger than their head, they won't be able to eat them. For the first while I kept my axies in small bowls, they did swim around but for the first few days at least, they don't tend to move much.
Any water level is okay but the deeper you have it, the more daphnia you should put in.
Just watch them, and you'll notice their bellies swell if they've eaten.

Spartacus

Reaction score
That said, you will probably find they eat most sizes of daphnia. The larger ones may just last longer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!