Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Sex the axolotl?? :)

Jade x

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone would be able to sex my 3 axolotls? I know that you cant sex them very easily at a younger age, but any guesses are welcome? :) They are only 15 cm at the minute. :D
http://www.caudata.org/forum/members/jade-x/albums/my-3-axolotls/17843-dave/
http://www.caudata.org/forum/members/jade-x/albums/my-3-axolotls/17842-photo0957/
http://www.caudata.org/forum/members/jade-x/albums/my-3-axolotls/17841-photo0956/
(P.S. They are 3 different axolotl, hope the pictures aren't too bad :)) :D

Last edited:

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you able to take further photos of the axolotl's hind regions looking down on the axolotl from above? The swelling of the male cloaca is quite distinct, and if you look down on the axolotl, you should be able to see the cloaca bulging out slightly (but distinctly ;) ) from the sides at the base of the tail.

So far, to my eye:

Photo 1 (Dave) looks male to me - that's quite a big cloaca.
Photo 2 (Photo0957) - not sure, photo is too blurry. I'm tempted to say female, but it may be a slow developing male.
Photo 3 (Photo0956) - suspect it may be female, but like number 2, it may be a slow developing male.

If you scroll down this page, you'll see the difference between the cloaca bulges of both genders.

Last edited:

Jade x

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies :) i did think Dave was male (hence the name :D) and then i didn't really know for the others :) but ill take some more pics in a few weeks and see is it's any different :) Thanks for your help!! x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1