Filter + power outage.

mekkha

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Melissa
Hi everyone. We have a hurricane warning for today and I just want to make sure I'm ready. Our power went out momentarily this morning and caused my filter to quit. I was able to fix it, and it is back up and running.

Is there anything I should do when this happens? Let's say my tank goes for a few hours without the filter running, what should I do once it starts up again? Any precautions to take in the meantime?

I noticed a few floaties of dirt in my tank because of it and cleaned them up asap. Going to do a water change and good cleaning a little later.

Professor Soapy sends his thanks ;)

Most important thing if the filter is going off long term is to stick the bio media in the tank. It will make the tank dirty, but the beneficial bacteria will have an ammonia source. Just make sure the media is submerged, you don't want your bio media drying out(not sure what kind of filter you have).

Most important thing if the filter is going off long term is to stick the bio media in the tank. It will make the tank dirty, but the beneficial bacteria will have an ammonia source. Just make sure the media is submerged, you don't want your bio media drying out(not sure what kind of filter you have).

Great thanks! I did that this morning when I realized the power had gone off.

to stop the tank going dirty, i find putting the filter media in a plastic container with lots of holls poked/drilled in it and submerging it helps.

I had this happen to me today :eek: My daughter unplugged my filter to charge her PSP :mad: I didn't realise until hours later. After a water change the ammonia is 0, although the nitrite is sitting between 0 and 0.25. It's maddening as I've never EVER seen nitrite in either of my tanks (nitrate is another matter.) I'm hoping by tomorrow the nitrite will be down again. I guess the ammonia munching bacteria are a little hardier than the nitrite ones. Needless to say lectures on NOT EVER unplugging ANYTHING without my express permission have been given :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back