Illness/Sickness: His dandruff is getting worse. Any advice?

Francine Smith

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have 2 axolotls on my tank. Water readings are all good, temp is quite cool, everything is peachy in there. The one is thriving and doing very well. The other is not well and seems to be getting worse. He has a "dandruff" look to him. Not a fluffy fungus, but just flacky skin (he is black so it shows up quite strongly on him). He just floats it the top corner and has now stopped eating. I know its not a virus as the other one in there is just fine. And all my amonia, nitrite, nitrate readings are all good. I do my 20% water changes with dechlorinated water etc etc, but yeah....don't know what to do with him now.
Any advise?
(i did post something similar to this not long ago, but he has gotten worse).
Here is his picture.....

http://www.caudata.org/forum/members/francine-smith-albums-poor-boy-picture17886-blacky.jpg

Last edited:
What's the temperature of the water? If it's too hot it can be a sign of heat stress. I once had it on my wildtype.

What really worked for me was a tea bath (and cool water ofcourse):
Caudata Culture Articles - Illness Part 2
(Over here is some info about tea baths)

the temp ranges from 15 to 17 degrees C. I actually added "Pimafix" tonight which apparently has the same active ingredient as the black tea. I also did a wate change as the amoni creeped up. So fingers crossed i see some improvements soon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back