Reviewing information regarding Michigan anura habitats

Nowicki418

Reaction score
Country
United States

I've been filming a wildlife documentary for over a year now and am starting to wrap things up. The film is estimated to be about an hour long and I hope to show it at the senior project this upcoming school year. Most of the video concentrates on showing the public aspects of nature in which they were previously unaware but one section I hope to talk a little about conservation, specifically for one of my favorite anura the Northern Leopard frog.

The part will talk about the construction of man made ponds and how they can be harmful if built over a pre-existing vernal pond. The main focus will be when these ponds are stocked with fish and plant life is removed from the ponds diameter. Michigan doesn't have any frogs that live literally in the pond and they all need some sort of cover from predators. The leopard frog requires a tall grassy area around the pond which is where it will spend a lot of its time. When the grass around a pond is cut the leopards habitat is destroyed. As only a high schooler I have personally seen Michigan populations of leopard frogs decrease in the past ten years. While we focus a lot of attention on endangered species it is more important that we keep common species common. It is easy to live alongside the leopard frog. All we must do is leave one side of the pond alone for vegetation and anura habitat.

Fall is the better time to film leopard frogs in MI so I'm already getting a plan together and keeping my eye out for ponds to use as bad examples. I originally was going to write out a more detailed version of this part but it was far to long to post as it was like 3 times the size of what I wrote here. I understand that when I sumarize the summary can sometimes be misleading. Any specific questions or comments and I can give more details. Anyways, what do you think? Is this a relevant issue? Is the leopard frog a good example? I want constructive criticism.

I really look forward to seeing this when it's done. My mom's yard is always full of leopard frogs, and I've grown up catching them. I agree with you about keeping common species common, seems like we forget about them a lot.

You may wish to note that while leopard frogs might be common THERE, elsewhere they have vanished. They used to be found through much of Alberta, but vanished from the populated core around 1977. They now persist only on the prairies and possibly in the boreal forest. In Washington and British Columbia, they are virtually gone - BC has only a single population, which at the last census I read numbered less than 6 animals.

As another contrast, the Ramsey Canyon leopard frog, Lithobates subaquavocalis [of questionable status] has persisted in southern Arizona canyons ONLY where cattle tanks have been formed by restricting the flow of the mountain creeks. The natural pools have largely vanished, I presume from reduced water sources.

Well I'm glad it turned out to be a great topic. I'll have a lot of fun with this one as I can plan a lot of it out before hand. Usually I come up with a list of stuff I want to film, go searching, and see what I can get. Leopards and pond examples should be easy to find so I have a bit more freedom.

For those interested: I estimate the video will be posted on youtube sometime between January 2012 and Febuary 2012. I'm still taking advantage of the couple months we have left before it gets cold and it will take me a long time to organize, edit, and narrate this thing. Also realize I am still in High school and this is my first time putting something together at this magnitude. I've filmed and seen some cool stuff but I can't say how it will look on screen in the end.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back