Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Babies but where have they gone

horsyqueen

Reaction score
My smooth newts had babies just before they dissapered. They are in a tank with a sponge filter so they dont get sucked up(they would be awful). I feed them micro baby fish food i have never seen them eat it. They are around 10 weeks old and as i would expect there are not that many. They dissapered for around 2 weeks so i was thinking about buying a heater to get some fire bellied newts but i saw 2 one day so i thought i dont want to kill them so i wont get the newts. The next day they dissapered again. i think they are just too hard to see in all the java moss. When i last saw them they looked so small not really fast at growing.

How long does it take for them to be full size?
Will they be fine with 3 spine sticklebacks?
I am a big fan of carnivours plants. if i put sundew on the land area will the sundew eat them?

rethgar

Reaction score
Normal behaviour for L. vulagis is to hide among vegetation. Have a look at night as you may see them then. Although larvae should really be juveniles by around 10 weeks. What's in the food? They feed on zooplankton in the wild so diet needs to mimic this.

Oh and absolutely no sticklebacks!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The babies are not eating the fish food. They are eating tiny live invertebrates that hang out in the java moss. To reach a decent size before they metamorphose, they need other, larger live foods like daphnia or tubifex worms.

Is the tank 100% escape-proof? No tiny cracks where a newt could climb out? They are excellent climbers and escape artists. See
Caudata Culture Articles - Preventing Escape

horsyqueen

Reaction score
i will get some live food then. never fed that before only meal worms.

the tank is escape proof now. its a old fish tank no cracks the lid is on orignally it was open but i lost a newts so it now has a lid. i dont know what they are doing as there are less snail eggs now could they be eating those.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1