Impaction?

priesty

Reaction score
Country
England
Picked this little guy up, altho it seems to be the same old story with the pet shop (in this case water gardens) having there axies on gravel.

Looking at his tummy he looks to have a pot belly as it is enlarged, he has eaten and he's now on sand but I'm not sure......

What is gonna be my best plan of action?

5ac1fc10-2f35-bf91.jpg

5ac1fc10-2f51-c639.jpg

5ac1fc10-2f66-940c.jpg

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.437689,-2.602763

Re: Impactaction?

Yep...off to the fridge. I'm so glad the place I got mine from just had a bare bottom. Kudos to you all who have to nurse your little guys to health.

Hmmmmm

I don't really want to put him/her in the fridge if I can help it tho (I've read on here that, that isn't always the answer), he's acting completely normal and like I said he/she is eating worms without any issues!

Best way of getting them to empty their stomachs. S/he'll be fine as long as it's not too cold.

I would keep a close eye on your addition, if your tank is cool enough, it'll be ok. If there is any deterioration I would place it in the fridge. I am not convinced that it is a he ;)

Well if I notice a change in behaviour I'll consider fridging it but as s/he's eating and swimming normally at the moment I'll leave it.

What size can you tell what sex they are?

When they are developed, it is different in different axies, just like humans, they all take a differing amount of time to become fully developed.

There is information on genders on the main site...

As to the impaction, He may pass it, but it depends on how big whatever it was, was. Meaning if she is able to then it will come out, fridging may help, although it may just make it a slower process as the system will shut down...

fridging may help, although it may just make it a slower process as the system will shut down...

While fridging does slow down their metabolism, it also makes them empty their bowels, which is why it's handy for impaction

Haven't fridged yet but just took this out of my tank!

5ac1fc1a-a981-e5fc.jpg

One of them is actually quite sharp so s/he was lucky!, still quite a bulge but hopefully if I keep pumping in the worms they should get passed soon :)

Wow, those are some tasty stones! Bet s/he's feeling better already.

I suggest you remove any object, whether small or large, which could cause this problem again! As those are some big and small rocks and things there... And you'd be surprised by what they can eat!

Carsona - That's good to know ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back