Eggs hatching too early!

barricorps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Recently our albino girl laid around 800 eggs, i have read that most will hatch at 14-21 day depending on temp but around 5 or 6 that i have had in an old tank without the chiller have hatched and are swimming around after 7 days.

They seem too small to survive to me, im going out to seapets to get an advance on live daphnia in a minute to give them a fighting chance.

Has anyone else had them survive at this early before or am i expecting casualties ?

Axolotl eggs develop and hatch faster in warmer temperatures.
did you do anything to the larvae while they where in eggs like move them for example or did they hatch on there own?
You don't have to worry about food for a few days since they probably still have there yolk sacks to eat.
Have you removed the larvae from the eggs? Since its probably easier for them to find food if they are in smaller container.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask,
Sam:happy:

I had actually bottled them up ready to post today and they hatched in the bottle.

They are now in a small tupperware pot of fresh dechlorinated water and i have live bbs and daphnia.

Some of them seem to be on their sides, they keep having odd little swimming bursts around the container, we'll have to wait and see.

I had actually bottled them up ready to post today and they hatched in the bottle.

They are now in a small tupperware pot of fresh dechlorinated water and i have live bbs and daphnia.

Some of them seem to be on their sides, they keep having odd little swimming bursts around the container, we'll have to wait and see.

The odd little swimming bursts are them eating;)

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
:happy:Sam

Eggs can hatch from just 3 days old. But they normally hatch from 13 days onward, but because you have such a large number of eggs, you do get the early and late developers. As Sam said it depends on the temperature. But keep the temperature at about 22°C for these new hatchlings so they can also develop really fast, this gives them a more of a fighting chance.
-Nick

I've had premature hatchers before, even before they had finished colouring up.
If they're swimming the should be fine, they do tend to be quite still and lay on their side but if one swims it knockes them all and they have a mad moment :D

Good Luck!
Mel

They seem to have grown since yesterday! have about 100 hatched now , they are so tiny!

the ideal temp for new baby's is 20, i wouldn't go any higher as this may stress them out to much and cause death especially at such a tiny size and as a they are so new to the world, keep an eye on the temperature in their water at all times to make sure it is stable, at this stage they are very venerable to temp changes. as you prob already know, the hatched baby's will need a 100% water change everyday, but if they are so prem id say maybe a 90% change would be ok, if u get a turkey baster and suck out all the water, then slowly add the new water {treated for chlorine etc.} and be especially careful to make the temp of the new water exactly the same :) the best way to do this is to keep a container of ready water near the baby's to ensure the same temperature
with my baby's i feed then do a water change, its obviously the best time to clean the water lol
hope this helped and all the best luck, have you got any photos? :D im a sucker for photos :wacko:

I move my babies into a different container when I feed then I can clean the container not the tank!!

I move my babies into a different container when I feed then I can clean the container not the tank!!

there's a few things wrong with that, for one you shouldn't really have baby's in a tank for cleaning purposes, the ideal set up is a plastic food storage container, filled with the treated water and an air stone if u like. then you feed them and clean, unnecessary moving of baby's should be avoided, especially if they are prem. the stress of being picked up/netted/caught in anyway can harm them, yet again especially when they are prem.... also the second thing wrong with that is, if they are living in tank that must be washed and water changed daily... the food isn't the reason why you need to do daily water changes, the waste they produce is, along with the fact of air circulation if you don't have a air stone the air in the water will run out faster and the baby's will need to "gulp" for air more often

i will get some pics up soon as my pc is fixed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back