Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Two diffrent types of newt together ot not

horsyqueen

Reaction score
i have a tank where i had a baby smooth newt/s. i dont want to leave it on it own so i was think once the newt is larger maby get a chinese firebellied newt/s. would anoughter type of newt go better? i would make a semi aquatic setup.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Not advisable at all. Among the concerns i would point out the fact that pet-shop H.orientalis are WC and can carry diseases.
I´d also like to say that a semi aquatic set-up is not the best option for H.orientalis, as adults will rarely, if ever, make use of land areas. Miximizing water volume should be a priority with this highly aquatic species.
Finally, i´d just like to suggest that you consider acquiring CB animals rather than purchasing pet-shop animals. Or perhaps even that you consider other alternatives, as there are plenty of species that are suitable and available from breeders in the UK. Of course it´s your choice, but i like to comment on it as i think it´s worth considering.

horsyqueen

Reaction score
i will see what i can find near me but i was thinking of getting around 4 at the aquatics live.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
As i say, it´s entirely up to you. I just think it´s fair to let you know that there are options available to you. Even if you don´t find any locally, you can get animals shipped to you from other parts of the UK, and it is very safe if done properly. If you decide to get WC animals from a pet-shop i think it´s important that you realise what that implies, in order to make an informed decission. It´s not just that they are collected in mass from the wild, which is an issue on itself, is that pet-shop animals have a higher incidence of certain problems like infections, parasites, stress, malnutrition, etc. That´s something i think should definitely be considered prior to acquiring new animals.

horsyqueen

Reaction score
I know about the way they tranceport them to the shops. i will see what i can find on keeping them i have read the artical on them on caudata

Red Eft14

Reaction score
Pretty much what the other's said,no.I had 2 personal expirence's with mixing species back when I started in this website and before.I mixed red eft with chinese fire belly(the fire belly died,it got it's leg bitten off) and paddle tailed with japanese fire belly(the paddle tailed died,it mad multiple bite wounds) Good thing you asked first before you mixed them.

bichogrilo

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity how about closely related species together like chinese and japanese firebellies?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
This has been discussed too.
Firstly, they are not so closely related, they are different genera. Secondly, C.pyrrhohaster is considerably larger than H.orientalis, specially females which can even reach lengths of 18cm. They are more agressive and larger, that alone makes it a bad idea. You also have the problems of different toxicities, different origins and the possibility of producing hybrids.

bichogrilo

Reaction score
Cool thanks, i pretty much figured that would be the answer but it seemed like a good time to ask:eek:, Especially since other than axies they are the only species available in the country.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1