Axolotl larvae and heating/food

allcrazythings

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all, i have a batch of about 20 larvae which have developed their front leg buds, clearly visible, they have been eating microworms.

The water is unheated, not sure about temperature, but id say around 14 degrees celcius.

My question is, if i setup a tub or tank, probably only 30-45cm in size, and i use a heater, set at say 22 degrees celcius, how much faster will they develop? Will it be a big difference?

And also, whats next in line for them to eat now? They still eat microworms well, i just want to prepare for the change.

Thanks.

im not sure on how much faster they will grow but id say they would grow a bit faster, maybe the best temp is 20-21 is optimal for baby's

i have 3 golden albino's at the same stage as yours. they have full front legs and are starting to grow back leg bud, they are eating frozen cropped up blood worms {cut the cubes up a little} and frozen daphnia cut up like the blood worms. and i still feed them BBS as well just at a smaller amount. as they were eating BBS to begin with.

other than that im not sure what else you can feed them, other than cut up pellets that u move around a little :D

keep in mind that changing foods takes a while and persistance, they might ignore new food and you may need to move it aroudn with a clear straw or somthing and make it wiggle slightly but if you stick at it over a few days they should be fine :D

I'd recommend live blackworms, if available. As I understand it, these do exist in AU.

I wouldn't recommend a heater. Rearing at 14C may be a bit slower, but they will be just as healthy.

Yeah they sell live blackworm at city farmers if anyone needs them. I feed my babies bloodworms and they love them.

I got some live blackworms from petbarn the other day too! they said they can get them in if anyone needs them, so if you have one around your area definatley ask! Mine are surviving well on brine shrimp and they are quite big now (4cm, back legs half grown) and they still love it, and they have lived off them since they hatched.

14c is fine, mine have been at that all their larvae life, allthough they have grown slowly. I would say 22 is the upper limit, but i wouldn't risk it because what if you had a particularly hot day plus the heater, they would die. Its up to your judgment though, if you can moderate temp ok why not try. You could set up a few with a heater and see the difference?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back