Question: Can you determine what colour axie babies you'll get?

Jade x

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, my axies arn't old enough yet but im just curious to know whether you can tell what colours you might get? Iv got wild type and leucistic but is it possible to get golden or not? I just wanted to know what sorts of colours you can get from different coloured axies :)

I can tell you with certainty that your offspring would be either 75% dark-colored, or 100% dark colored. By "dark colored" I mean either wild-type or dark melanoid. The exact types you would get among the dark or light colored offspring are impossible to know with certainty unless you know the genotypes of your axies (and you probably don't). I don't think it's possible for you to get goldens because they are always albino (pink eyes), and you cannot get albino from the animals you have. If you get any light colored ones they will be leucistic.

Hey Jade,
I am currently raising eight babies from wild type/ leucistic parents and I have three that are leucistic and five wid type :D

Maybe my axolotls are wierd. I am rasing male leucistic x female wild eggs. Out of the nine i kept, i got 2 wild, 2 golden albinos and 5 leucistic. o_o

the same female wild had babies with a copper male before, and a very small percentage were leucistic (i kept all of them) and about 1/2 golden albino. So she is carrying leucistic and golden.

Maybe it is possible you could get albinos? I did with my leucistic/wild cross.

Maybe my axolotls are wierd. I am rasing male leucistic x female wild eggs. Out of the nine i kept, i got 2 wild, 2 golden albinos and 5 leucistic. o_o

the same female wild had babies with a copper male before, and a very small percentage were leucistic (i kept all of them) and about 1/2 golden albino. So she is carrying leucistic and golden.

Maybe it is possible you could get albinos? I did with my leucistic/wild cross.

Yes, come to think of it, it is possible to get albinos from a wild/leucistic cross. So I guess golden is possible.

Ooooooh I just love Mendelian genetics!

Okay, first, Jade: You could get ANYTHING from that cross unless you know something about your axolotls' parents. Interesting color morphs in axies are all based on recessive genes (as far as I know!), which means that as long as the animal has one copy of the normal gene sequence you won't see any difference -- your wild-type animal could be carrying the alleles for leucistic, melanoid, or golden babies and you'd never know it without breeding it with the right partner. Leucistics have two copies of the recessive allele controlling melanophore migration, so if you bred two leucistics together you would only get leucistic babies. But, again, you don't know their genotypes for the other colors, you only know they have ONE copy of the normal gene variant.

melr70: Congratulations, your wild-type axie is heterozygous for the leucistic gene. :) You'd expect just about a 50/50 split of babies in that situation, vs. all wild-type offspring if that animal had two copies of the wild-type gene.

Rachel: I don't understand how copper works, so I can't speak to that cross. There's a thread where Ollie mentions thinking it's a weak melanin-production enzyme, which would make it recessive. But based on your leucistic/wild mating's offspring, the wild-type parent's genotype must be Dd Aa (heterozygous for leucistic and for golden albino) and the leucistic parent's must be dd Aa. The ratios aren't perfect, but 9 is a small enough number that random variation will play a significant part in what we see.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back