How often will axies breed if left together?

Jade x

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, just wondered how often axies are likely to breed if they are left together all the time? I know it's not healthy for them to breed continuously :)

Hiya
It depends on the Axolotl to be honest. I think the norm is around twice a year.
I hve a female that laid every month for about 9 months, she now hasn't laid for about 10-11 months and shes still with the 2 males.

Mel

Yeah depends on if they feel up to it, we have ones that are expecting to lay again soon. It also depends on the conditions theyre in, but thats your choice.

too many times!!!! I had 3 spawnings in 4 months before i managed to get a tank divider made up. Water temperature is meant to effect it, its like seasons changing signalling the axies to breed. Winter is meant to be their breeding season, and the 4 months I’ve had my axies has been over winter so maybe that’s it. Water changes will do it too if the temperature is a little different. And they have to be in good conditions. Maybe mine are just particularly randy.

I think it really depends on the axies in question and the conditions they are in.
My adults laid the first month we had them then nothing for almost 6 months and they have been at it every month since that 2nd lay last January.

It seems to be triggered by a change in tank for my 2 as much as anything. Redecorating, serious clean outs and larger than normal water changes all seem to do it so I try to avoid those things as much as possible. They just moved into a new bigger tank and were laying within 48 hours but it had also been almost a month as well.
I'd be worried except she still looks AMAZING for having laid all these eggs and to be honest if she isn't up to it she doesn't HAVE to accept the males packages.
I don't raise all the eggs. I leave them in the tank and they are usually gone within a week.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back