Question: How would I get a melanoid albino larvae?

NooNoo Kz

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Nick & Kasey
Hi guys, I really really want a melanoid albino larvae to hatch so what colours do you think I should be breeding??

While it's possible that wild-types and others carry the alleles to give you a melanoid albino, let's go for the sure thing if possible! The best way to get mm aa offspring is to breed axolotls you definitely know have those alleles. It's going to take two generations to do it this way, but you WILL get it provided your starting pets have the right genotypes.

For these genotypes, you can tell by their appearance, which is why it's the most certain way to go. Your signature says you have a black male -- do you know if he is melanoid, or if he has iridophores? If his eyes don't shine, you're in business -- his genotype must be mm, so you have your melanoid.

I would use your golden albino girl for the mother (aa). The other albino would be acceptable, but since she has other mutations it could get more complicated. Hope the axies in question like each other!

Their offspring (the F1 generation) will probably ALL look wild-type. It's possible that the parents carry other colors, and then you could get some interesting babies. If you're lucky, your melanoid has an albino allele hidden away or vice versa, and then you may get to skip a generation, but it's likely you won't get any melanoids or any albinos. Don't give up! Breed those babies to each other. If they look wild-type, that just means they're actually Mm Aa, carrying both melanoid and albino alleles.

The final result if the F1s looked wild-type: an F2 generation containing 9/16 wild-type, 3/16 melanoid, 3/16 albino, and 1/16 melanoid albino. Remember that these numbers aren't perfect, though, so don't keep only 16 eggs. :) When I do two-locus segregation in my plant breeding, I keep about 50 plants so I can be almost sure of getting my double mutant.

Haha thanks that makes much more sense now, I actually get it. Lol the golden albino has actually already laid his eggs, and it turns out the black male is melanoid!!

This lot of larvae will probably be melanoid albino larvae for sure! Because most of the larvae are normal albino meaning that my melanoid male's parents were already melanoid and albino meaning that this lot is the second generation XD
-Kasey and Nick

So my male was already carrying the aa gene as well as the mm, and the golden albino passed it onto her babies, meaning that they will be 6/16 ga, 6/16 mm, 3 aa, 3 mm aa.

Hmm, it's possible you may not get them in this lot. Sorry. You're close though!

Because you're seeing albino larvae, we know that the melanoid male must be mm Aa (he's got to have that wild-type A or he'd be melanoid albino himself!). He's the second generation of something, but it's not this nice clean cross. :) Now IF there are melanoid larvae, the golden albino female would have to be Mm aa. If there are none, she's MM aa, and no melanoid albino larvae will appear in this generation.

The breeding in the second generation would still be a lot easier, though! You could use the albinos from this cross to breed together, and get a whopping 1/4 melanoid albino larvae (3/4 golden albino) instead of that 1/16 you'd get if you used the wild-type-looking guys.

The melanoid albinos are super-cute, I'm excited for you to breed them successfully too!

Last edited:
Yes they are really cute!! I think the dad is already carrying the mm aa gene but the mother is carrying wildtype... but if the second generations babies are 1/4 melanoid and 3/4 golden albino thats still really great!! But if some of this litter are melanoid then we know the mum is Mm aa, and the dad mm aa meaning that the second generations litter should be 1/2 melanoid albino 1/2 golden. We will just have to see. I think I can see a melanoid albino in one of the eggs, but his colour may grow different. Its exciting, I really love the melanoid albino breed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back