The Caudata Confessions thread

Molch

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok...out with it. Do you have any dark secrets regarding your newts obsession? Any newt mummies behind the fridge; any secret phobias, any cricket infestations you can't get rid of? Do you still gag when chopping up earthworms? Secret fondness for trout pellets?

here's your chance to clear your conscience. I'll start:

I'm not much attracted to axies. I find them slightly disturbing. There's something very strange about someone who retains his infant characteristics into old age..:wacko:

Imagine meeting a 6-foot 50-year old baby with car keys and credit cars, diapers and all. Odd, eh? Reality just took a left turn? That's kinda how I feel when I see an axie....:eek:

yeah, I feel better now that's off my chest....:rolleyes:

My confessions:
1. I want more axolotls (you'd think that having 15 in the house would be enough...)
2. I really want to breed a super-lotl (think Liz from The Magic School Buss intelligence and personality...They've already got the personality, just need a bit more brain power :D ).
3. I have no problem with genetic mutations- that's how we got brains :D, ergo point 2.

I have crickets living 1m from my bed...they scaped and have decided that the snake terrariums are perfect homes, but it´s also almost impossible to catch the little bastards in there...I´m starting to really not care, which is dangerous. I hope my mother never finds out.

I am currently trying to work how to secrete some little red spotted newts into my home. Hubby is not keen on my hobby...

I am currently trying to work how to secrete some little red spotted newts into my home. Hubby is not keen on my hobby...

Disregard hubby. Acquire Notophthalmus viridescens. [^_^]

i used to be really grossed out by all newts and salamanders. now im OBSESSED!!!

otherwise i do have a fear that everytime i wake up my axi is going to be dead.... its stressful. but then im ok after they move a little!

I am working on a secrete breeding project for my fire bellied toads. I am not aloud to breed anything until i am out of colllage. I say the frozen water bottles i am carrying up is for the axolotl because the tank is to warm.

Also i have a major phobia of spiders.:eek:

I had the forum unblocked at work by claiming it was a professional resource. This is not technically a lie...

I had the forum unblocked at work by claiming it was a professional resource. This is not technically a lie..

lol, i often plan my weekly route in work to visit pet shops and drop axolotls off to people, my vehicle is trackered and my boss has questioned me several times about unusual work routes, fortunatly he is very trusting and can be taken advantage of with relative impunity.

I bought a Chinese giant salamander on ebay and expect it in the mail any day.

I desperately want to move out of Nebraska to somewhere I can go back to finding salamanders in the wild, like I did as a kid.

I would trade my wife for half a dozen hellbenders of each sex. (Seriously. Good deal. She cooks like a champion and puts up with science geeks like a pro...also professionaly edits your writing assignments for the Uni...)

I am plan on becoming a botanist or entomologist, just so my hobby does not become work.

It kills me to send critters to other folks as I rarely get to see the results of all that work later on.

:happy::D
Me to. And in my case, it is really true.

In some respects it is for me too hence technically but there's a far more selfish reason on my part. I'd say I just about do enough herpetology professionally for it to be the case. Any excuse for more though I grab with both hands

Confession -
I am so obsessed with newts and salamanders that I belong to a forum that is completely devout to these animals. :rolleyes:

Still to this day my mother believes that all newts and salamanders breath through the water, therefore they will immediately die if out of the water..... I haven't bothered to correct her....... Or tell her that I have 3 terrestrial salamanders.

Oops. o_O

I met my first axie in March and devoted the entire next month to reading up on them so I could get my two babies. Sometimes my husband thinks I love them more than I love him! :p

i used to be really grossed out by all newts and salamanders. now im OBSESSED!!!

otherwise i do have a fear that everytime i wake up my axi is going to be dead.... its stressful. but then im ok after they move a little!

The same with being terrified that one will kick the bucket- I was SO devastated when I lost Georgie...
Another (Similar) confession...
If my axies splash in the night (Coming up for air), I instantly turn on the light, terrified they might be making an escape attempt...(irrational, but still freaks me out...)
Also my axie obsession has invaded my dreams...

Ok, here it is... I'm an actual hellbender... no, wait, that's not right.

I think my only confession is that I am obsessed with caudates. No crickets living loose in the house (except the native ones that came in from outside) because I don't culture crickets (I culture roaches), and no mummified newts behind the fridge.

I am not fond of trout pellets at all. That comes from months of working with Rainbow Trout at the local Federal fish hatchery, and being overwhelmed by the smell of trout pellets EVERY DAY!

Claudia, I do share your dislike of axies, but that's not because they creep me out, I just don't like them. Axies are so common; they're a dime-a-dozen. Why follow the crowd and keep the same salamander EVERYONE else is keeping?

Although... I do want to EAT an axolotl. There it is, my big confession. I'd like a nice deep-fried axolotl!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back