Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Travel time?

sunchyne231

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at adverts to buy axolotls and am wondering what sort of limit I should put on travel time? Ie how stressful do Axies find travel in a car and how can I do it safely? Is an hour ok? Further? Less?

I've been looking for ages now and nothing is very local so need to look further afield I think!

Thanks

iSuzie

Reaction score
well it depends if someone can hold the axolotls in there bag while you are driving home to make it less bumpy for them? will you be travelling with someone else? i have brought 7 axolotls from 3 different pet shops. the first was an hour and a half away from me, both axies were fine just a little stressed from the drive in separate bags , the second time was 2 hours away same thing 2 in separate bag;s, they were fine and were just a little stressed, and the third time i got 3 axies all in one bag! and the drive home was 1 and a half hours and they were fine as well and didn't even seem stressed! so if you have to go for a bit of a drive with them, id recommend the closer the better but 2 hours should be ok if needed :) also as they dont like bright light, if its hot and a bright day i suggest you bring a bag of frozen pea's to sit them on and wrap there bag in a light colored towel/shirt etc to shield them from the brightness and keep there temp down if it's going to be a long drive home :D good luck!! have you got everything set up ready for them? :happy:

Minniechild

Reaction score
As long as they're oxygenated, they'll be fine for overnight shipping (Which is what my axolotl guy does to get them around Australia- where nothing is close to anything else). Mine were packed in 3L water, equal parts oxgen, and they were happy for over 2 hours (I got them and they joined me and my family for a nice cup of coffee, where they were the talk of the restaraunt :D )
If you're going further than 2 hrs, try and get a styrofoam box for them, try and keep them as cool as humanly possible (Without making them into axicles.
Good luck!!

carsona246

Reaction score
Mine were in the mail for 2 days, and were perfectly fine. I second Caitie's recommendation of a styrofoam box, that's what the breeder used for my shipment. I also would not try to use anything frozen on an axie bag. It may be too cold for them, and would cause the temp to fluctuate. An ice pack outside the styrofoam box might work

sunchyne231

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses! Well I went with the frozen peas, then a towel layer, then the axi in a bag. The journey was about 1.5 hours, and now he/she is settling in, doesn't seem stressed. Tanks got a filter and some of the 'ornaments' the previous owner gave me for hiding around and a couple of fake plants. I've got so much reading to do! First thing though is dechlorinating more water to top it up though.

HappySkittles

Reaction score
Ahh you rode with it in the car? Mine traveled for 12 hours with me and made it fine :)

Infamous82

Reaction score
Had 2 3.5 in. in small bags, about 3in. of water, survive 24hrs. plus an 8hr. car ride in a cooler. They made it to me just fine. They are tough critters, just keep them cool.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I've hauled mine all around the country. One time we had an 11 hour drive, and they were fine.

melfly

Reaction score
I've taken them on trains, buses, in cars....
All did fantastic.

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1