I need to move my axie tank, but am terrified of stressing/killing them!!!!

Axie23

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I have a tank with three baby axies in it. they have hatched, and are maybe a week old. two of the three are eating well(you can see the dapnia in their tummies).

The problem is, i recently bought a large fish tank for my goldfish, and will need to move my smaller axolotl tank off the desk, to make room for the bigger tank.

i'm looking for tips on how to move the smaller tank without stressing out or killing the baby axies. maybe i could cover the tank to make it darker so they aren't so scared?

i think i've lost a few babys to stress, and don't want a repeat!:(.
are they past the stage where they won't die on me over the slightest bump?

I don't have much choice about moving this tank, so would really appreciate some help!:confused:

I would put them into individual containers of the tank water, move the tank, and then place them back into the tank. However if they're only a week old or so, you might want to keep them separated, because young axolotls are cannibalistic.

If they are healthy, the move should be no problem. Sloshing around for a few minutes is really not going to hurt them.

Agreed! I got mine at 2 weeks, and they've had their water changed every day or two right from the beginning,with them being moved between containers during the process. They're now at 3 months, and doing fine :D

Thanks guys, i ended up just picking up the tank and moving them as slowly as i could across the room. it never occured to me to put them in seperate containers, though! they managed to survive the trip;), but have been watching them closely, just to be sure. one seems to have turned a little pale but that just might be the lighting;). i have read that they can be cannibalistic, but they haven't grown their front legs yet, so i'm not too worried at the moment. when it happens i might move them, but can you put them back into the same tank at some point? i have limited space!:)..

As long as you keep up your water changes, you should be fine to move them back home (That or shove the goldfish out and make room for more axies :D). A good suggestion for housing them out separately (If you so choose) is to get the BPA free containers from the supermarket (over here they're about $10 for 7L, which will happily house 3 juvies without nibbles). But from my own experience (my juvies are coming up on 3 months, in the aforementioned 7L containers, then 5L containers for pairs, and my original three were in a 20L tank right through summer, and it was only once they were out in the big 200L tank that a limb got chomped...), as long as you put in some hides, rocks and java moss for them to huff in when they get peeved off, nibbles can be kept to a minimum.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back