Axolotopia?

Leemo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Liam
Hi Guys - After my self-educating'setting up my axolotls have arrived. For about a month or two I have been reading up on these critters and I have to say this site rules! It also makes me want more kinds of amphibians. I have had frogs, newts, salamanders, anoles etc. But I inherited a bearded dragon about a year ago and it got me wanting to get back into pet keeping. I always wanted axolotls from when I read about them years ago so I figured why not they seem cool.

That being said I posted some pics of my set up and would like input feed back that anyone of you guys have. Sorry if the images aren't great but sadly photography isn't one of my many hobbies...

This is my mini paradise:
A 75G tank 4ft long. Housing 3 axoltols (4inch), 3 guppies (at any time 6-10 fry) and a handful of ghost shrimp (also breeding). Oh and a million snails.

I know, I know, I know about the tank mates being not a great idea but from what I see everyone seems to co-exist. If the axies get bigger and start eating things I don't really care I just had them (fish/shrimp) to help cycle the tank and possibly breed for food anyways. The guppies seem to be too busy boning each other and the shrimp are busy cleaning up left over food. My biggest concern from my reading is the snails climbing on the axies but so far I haven't seen it. My wild type seems to actually nudge and play with them. Attached below is a view of my set up (Please excuse the lighting as I know it may be too bright but that was for the pictures sake. I do leave room lights on for viewing and the plants but right above them I have a small light, I'll show that later on)
294819_10150297082884164_516934163_7885590_594877_n.jpg

One of my biggest concerns/stresses was the out flow from the over hang filter I bought like a goon and now figuring I could have gotten something better with less current production.

What I did to break up the flow of that filter I bought a turtle landing pad to suction cup under the outflow it seems the break it up well enough by tilting it back towards the glass. I also cut a bottle up and placed it at the edge of the turtle bad so in theory it would kick the water back up to the surface and not down to the bottom where the axolotls mostly roam. Plus I figure fans which is a common practice on these guys stir up the water just as much no? I also attached plants and rocks to break up any current that may be there. I am guessing it can't be terrible as two of my axies love chilling directly under the filter.

301190_10150297082899164_516934163_7885591_7053194_n.jpg

313827_10150297082924164_516934163_7885592_4043577_n.jpg

295810_10150297082959164_516934163_7885594_6652815_n.jpg

307209_10150297083094164_516934163_7885601_6037756_n.jpg

Other than that if you guys have any input/comments I'd greatly appreciate it. I also attached some randoms of my axies.

Melonoid eating. It seems like exploring the most.
296135_10150297082769164_516934163_7885586_6566542_n.jpg

This was the hide it claimed right away haha. Trying to look tough I guess.
296678_10150297082699164_516934163_7885582_3107461_n.jpg

You can't see it too well but that's the wildtype being nosy and checking everything out.
300106_10150297083039164_516934163_7885598_1282262_n.jpg

And thats the shy luecistic. Should I be concerned it does not like to leave its hides as much as the other two? I just assume they all have different personalities.
307209_10150297083094164_516934163_7885601_6037756_n.jpg

Tank with just the aquarium light on...
299942_10150297082984164_516934163_7885595_4514579_n.jpg

Thanks to anyone that reads this. I hope I am doing the right things by these guys.

PS Here is Beardo my Dragon, He has a name because I know what sex he is. The axies won't get names until I know the gender, but from what I have read people sometimes still can't tell haha. If anything I may name them stuff from my favorite tv show East Bound and Down like La Flama Blanca since Kenny Powers was down in Mexico and axolotls are from Mexico. OK sorry for rambling!:eek:
320120_500079624163_516934163_6162135_1797506_n.jpg

great set up, and a great way to slow the filter flow :)

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I like your tank, it looks great. :happy:
I know you know about tank mate mixing (guppies), but the guppies can nibble on your axies gills, as well as the risk they will get eaten. I would recommend you remove them - sooner or later either your axie or the guppies will get hurt (although it looks your cool with the feeder fish thing).
Another thing is the snails.. although you may not see them on your axies, does not mean it won't happen. Most likely, one of your axolotls will try to eat them. I'm not sure how big they are, but it could cause damage. I highly doubt they will be able to digest snail shells easily, if they manage to get them down.

Other than that, the actual tank is very nice. Bet your axies love it.
Nice idea with the turtle pad/water bottle, looks like it works well.
One suggestions though, the large rocks the cute little leucistic is hiding under look a little... dangerous. They look sturdy enough, just as your 'lotls grow - I think they could get stuck in the gap/hide bit at the bottom. I would recommend either removing or rearranging them. Better safe than sorry.

Your axies are adorable, well done with them - and good on you for researching first!
Love Beardo, s/he looks very happy & healthy. :happy:

I like your setup, I don't think adding 1 light bulb would be too much for your axies for a short period of time. I keep an 18 w bulb on my 40 breeder, your light bulb doesn't look much larger, and you got a 75.
As for guppies, keep an eye out for gill nipping, but as long as you're ok with them getting eaten they're probably fine. I'm currently breeding guppies to add as feeder fish to my tank.
I like how you're spreading out the flow of your filter. The fan disturbance on water is only at the surface, so the filter will most likely be causing more flow then anything the fan could be doing, but it looks like your spreading it out pretty well. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
that being said i did notice your axies gills look curled in your photo's. If the water parameters are fine, there may be something wrong in your tank that is causing your axolotl to become stressed. It could be a number of things, or your axolotl may just like to curl its gills(I happen to have 1 axolotl that has always curled his gills since he was a baby). Just something to keep an eye on

Thanks for the comments already guys. Yeah my roomates have fish so I may chuck them in there or make a guppy factory tank. The shrimp will be ok in there? As for the snails, when ever I do water changes I try and suck up any eggs I see because I agree with them getting eaten and possible impaction which I am afraid of. Sfest way is to probably hand pick them out. I think in the future they may be a possible treat but at 4inches the axies may be too small. The snails are small though.

You are also right with those rocks. I have to rearrange them but I didn't want to disturb the luecistic if its stressed and hiding out. Honestly I moved those rocks when i was adding a plant and it darted under the rock yesterday so I figured I will let him hang a bit. But yes especially that white rock lol.

Beardo will be getting a bigger home this month as well. I know reptiles are off topic here but maybe I'll post pics of the new digs.

that being said i did notice your axies gills look curled in your photo's. If the water parameters are fine, there may be something wrong in your tank that is causing your axolotl to become stressed. It could be a number of things, or your axolotl may just like to curl its gills(I happen to have 1 axolotl that has always curled his gills since he was a baby). Just something to keep an eye on
Hey Carson - Yeah the melanoid. I noticed that too but it has had that since I got him which honestly was only a few days ago. So I am assuming that may be stress related from being shipped? I will keep an eye on it for sure.

ah, well it could very well be shipment stress. If your other axolotls aren't showing curled gills, then I wouldn't worry about it. Shrimp are definitely ok to keep in the tank. Guppies occupy that gray area of acceptability. If the snails are regular pond snails, I personally wouldn't worry about it. I have them in my tank, and I'm not concerned. Pond snail shells are pretty delicate(at least mine are in the soft water I have), however if you got some mystery snails in there you might want to think about removing them.

Yeah the others are actually smaller and back... I'll keep an eye out. From what I have seen the curly guy has eaten the most if that counts for anything.

The snails came with the plants and haven't gotten any bigger that hmmm... a tic tac?

I like the shrimp they are fun to watch.

But yeah I know the guppies in there are playing with fire so they will be removed most likely. More for the benefit of the axies. Even though those guppies now have been pets for two months haha.:p

I keep guppies with my axolotls without any problems , however i only keep guppy fry with my juveniles and adult guppies with my adult axolotls, if your providing guppies as a prey item they need to be small enough for the axolotls to take them without causing undue suffering, also by having adult guppies with juvenile axolotls you may find the guppies arnt too scared of them and try to nibble their gills. I have never had any problems with snails in my tank , my axolotls tend to eat them before they get too big but i have read posts where they have chocked/impacted axolotls. I have never had any problems with my cherry shrimp they tend to be too fast for the axolotls and help keep the tank clean.

good to know, I think my guys may be a tad small for these guppies at this point. So I'll open up a fry factory in another tank.

btw Ian are you a support of any football clubs over by you, being from Wales Cardiff maybe? I am an Arsenal supporter because I like to torture myself.

good to know, I think my guys may be a tad small for these guppies at this point. So I'll open up a fry factory in another tank.

btw Ian are you a support of any football clubs over by you, being from Wales Cardiff maybe? I am an Arsenal supporter because I like to torture myself.

lol, lifes too short for football.

All looks ok.

Probably lose the rocks as they get bigger, you'd be amazed at what they'll fit in their mouths. See the sticky in the set up forum re substrates for reference to some xrays

Snails should be ok f they are the little pond snails, the axies will eat them, so i'd pick out any of the bigger (tic tac size) ones if i saw them, just in case. If they are a breed that get bigger, then get rid of them. Re climbing on axies, i've never heard of that to be honest. First time i've seen it mentioned here in this forum, it could be a problem i suppose, but i've never seen my pond snails climbing on my axies.

RE water flow. If your plants are moving from the flow then it's a little high. If the plants are still, no problem.

Bren

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back