Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Temp too high?

geoducky545

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm a new axi owner and I'm a bit concerned that my axi might start suffering from heat stress. My tank is currently at 23 C and I have the window next to it open and a fan blowing, with little success.
Suggestions? Chillers are out of the question because they're horrifically expensive and I'm not sure if I can move my axi, Rory, down to the basement-- nor will that be a good solution for long, because in three weeks Rory is moving with me to the dorms at school. :/ Would adding colder water do the trick?
I live in Seattle and, if there's any Seattlelites on here, how do you keep your axi tank cool and will it stay cooler during the autumn, winter, and spring?

I'm a fretting axi mom and just want Rory to be as happy as he can.

yellowpebble

Reaction score
get the tank as low to the floor as possible, and as far down in your house as possibe, like in the basment or cellar if you have one. Buy some fans and point them at the waters surface to increase evaporation, and try rotating some frozen ice bottles. Keep an eye on the temperature because the bottles can cause some fluctuation so they will need to be in steady supply. You can also wrap a damp towel around the tank.

I have always thought keeping them in the bath tub would work very well as it is designed to insulate, and is naturally cool because it is on ground level and made out of substances that hold temperature really well. Bathtub + icebottles and fan would work quite nicley i'm sure, but as a last resort because it means taking them out of the tank.

Good luck

xxianxx

Reaction score
High temps can cause axolotls stress and the increased chance of illness/fungal infections, there are methods of reducing the temp, the previous post shows a few, you could also try leaving the lid of the tank, putting an airstone in to increase water surface area and aiding evaporation, closing your blinds ,ensuring a through draft in the room the tank is in turning up your ac.

carsona246

Reaction score
get a mesh reptile tank lid, and put the fan on top of it. It should lower the temps to an acceptable temp. Don't do waterchanges with extremely different temps, as changing the temperature too quickly will stress out your axolotls

geoducky545

Reaction score
Thanks all for your replies.
I'll try the mesh lid, my only concern is that it might not work out with the hob filter I have >.> I'm definitely purchasing an aquarium fan, because I'm worried I won't be able to maintain a cooler temp in the dorm. :/

My other concern is whether or not my axi has the splotches of mucus characteristic of heat stress, but I have a overwhelming tendency to over-worry (I'm a pretty big hypochondriac, and this transfers over to my pets of course).

carsona246

Reaction score
arg, hob fans do make mesh lids very inconvenient. I actually stick mine across the width of my tank, so it's only covering the middle portion of my tank so I can fit my filter input/output and my plant filter at the top of the tank

geoducky545

Reaction score
Gah, Rory does not want to take pictures now >.< It's odd, I only see it when I've turned on the fluorescent tank light (I'm going to put in a couple live plants soon).

The spot I see is on his "cheek" between his eye and his gills.

Attachments

• IMG_0700.jpg
    IMG_0700.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 255

carsona246

Reaction score
not sure about the splotches, but I'd remove that gravel asap. Axolotls have a tendency to swallow gravel, and become impacted.

geoducky545

Reaction score
Huh... it's sand, not gravel, but if you think it's too big, I'll yield to a higher authority. Whenever I've seen him take a bite out of it, he promptly spits it all out.

carsona246

Reaction score
lol, my bad, the coloring might have thrown me off. If your axolotls tiny then it totally makes sense that it's sand.

geoducky545

Reaction score
He's 3 in or so, so a little guy.
With the windows open the tank temp has gone back down to 70 F or so. Here's hoping it stays that way!

geoducky545

Reaction score
Alas, tank has risen in temp again! >.< I might go out shopping today and see if any of the fish stores have fans, but today is labor day so everything might be closed...

Kenneth

Reaction score
Are you in a position to buy an air unit? Also sometimes (with storms over here in Illinois) the power goes out so I always keep frozen water. And for a temporary solution...if it is a really hot day and it is time to change the water I usually use one refrigerated water gallon and one room temp one to not stress her out too much when I pour them in (still cools it down a few degrees, but to her benefit not to her dismay). But be careful like carson said with not changing the temp too drastically.

geoducky545

Reaction score
I have moved my axi down to our basement and that helped with the temp (currently at 70 F). I had to do a 30% water change because of it, I used colder water but not too cold.
If an air unit = chiller, then no. I do have a couple box fans in my basement to help with air flow.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1