Considering Tiger Salamander

Dcerdeiras

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was just visitng my local fish farm (awesome place) and I happened to notice that they were selling a single juvenile tiger salamander (probably just metamorphasied, it still had flat tail and is in shallow water) I was considering buying, but because i don't like to rush into buying animals and because it was $30, I decided to think about it.
I think I might get one in the near future, but I'm also considering if I buy one am I buying a captive bred individual or a wild caught one. Is this a species that is most commonly bred or caught? I have a thing about buying animals that were wild once.

Unfortunately, Tiger salamanders are extremely hard to breed. Almost all of them that are offered in the pet trade are wild caught.

Most, if not all, tiger salamanders you see for sale are wild caught. Breeding tiger salamanders in captivity is very difficult, so tiger salamanders are collected from the wild as either metamorphosed adults, or as larvae and raised in captivity.

I just contacted them (the fish farm) and they told me that it was indeed captive bred. Now I'm really interested, though I don't think I have the space.

For anyone else in south Florida who is interested, the name of the place is "Neighborhood Fish Farm". Awesome place!!

They can easily say that its captive bred when it might not be true. Many sellers will claim that their animals are captive bred when in fact they aren't. Unless they can provide you with proof that the animal is captive bred then assume that it isn't.

I wouldn't believe it for a second. Tigers are so hard to find captive bred that hobbiests (who are the main reason any ambystoma other than axolotls is captive bred) can't even get their hands on them, I highly doubt a fish farm would be able to.

I agree with Jackulwulf and JessKB. I highly doubt it is truly captive bred. What could be happening here is they went out to a pond in the breeding season and collected egg masses, and then hatched the larvae out in captivity. One of the reasons terrestrial Ambystomids are so hard to breed in captivity is they migrate during the breeding season and, coming from a temperate climate, there are distinct seasons in their native environment and they need special keys from the environment that tell them when it is time to breed. Aquatic Ambystomids like Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) and Anderson's salamanders (Ambystoma andersoni) do not migrate during the breeding season and the conditions in their native environment stay very stable year round; thus they are easy to breed in captive conditions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back