Photo: My baby axies from a leucistic father and wild type mother

meerkat

Reaction score
Country
Australia
This is purely a proud axie owner showing off her baby axies. They hatched on July 25 2011 so are about 6 weeks old. They are about 1 1/2 inches long, have fully developed front legs and all have back legs starting to grow. Last night I gave them non-chopped up live blackworm for the first time and they went bezerk. There is nothing funnier than seeing a mass of blackworms in a ball swirling around and then having an axie dive into the middle and seeing the mass explode into a million individual worms. I have 30 baby axies and they ate one whole serving of blackworm in one night. Each serving costs $4.95, so feeding this way could be quite expensive. If anyone has experience on weening them onto non-live food I would love to hear it.

I have posted photos of the 3 different color types I have. I roughly have about 10 of each color. I have also found two wonderful and responsible pet shops that are willing to buy them in a couple of months, however I am now in that panicking stage and want to inspect the tank to make sure all the parameters are correct before letting them go.

Anyway, here are the photos of 3 of my babies, a light colored wildtype, dark colored wild type and a leucistic with cute speckles.

Enjoy :happy:

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 56,461
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 9,654
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 4,122
awwww! so cute. I cant wait till mine are that size. Do you know if the leucistic will keep the black speckles on its head. I read somewhere its common for them to be speckled, cause unlike the albino(white and golden with pink eyes) they still have the black pigment. but they might not be old enough to tell the colours for sure. please keep us up to date:happy:

I truly hope that they keep their cute freckles. Their back legs are all very visible now and some are about 1/2 grown. I am still trying to get them to take non living food, however either they are not fussed about it or it messes up the water.

Hi there, I just literally stopped BBS one day, and started frozen bloodworm the next.. they were fine with it!

Thanks Aimee, will go and by some tomorrow and see how we go. I was trying frozen beef heart and it really fouls the water so quickly. Will let you know how I go.

They are adorable!!

Let me know when you are ready to sell some!

I'm going to want to put them in a tank with adults though so I think I may need to get a tank divider.....

The speckled leucustic and lighter wildtype are both adorable!!!

(The darker wildtype is adorable as well but I'm not so interested in him hee hee)

I really hope they keep their freckles!!

Thanks Aimee, I fed them frozen bloodworm and they didn't even hesitate. For my 30 babies I am feeding them between 1-2 cubes a day. I try to keep them full all the time so they don't start nipping at each other.

Front legs are fully developed, back legs are half grown and have toes. I think we are getting close to the end of babyhood and becoming juveniles.

The black freckles are becoming more prominent and the freckles on some go right down the back. I am going to attempt to take more photos soon with the awesome camera that is my iphone :p

My babies are growing up so fast.

More photos taken today. Babies are now almost 8 weeks old now. Almost out of their baby stage and going into juvenile territory. In the photos you can see their front legs clearly and their half grown back legs. They are all now taking frozen bloodworm.

The freckles have stayed and for most of them have traveled the length of their body. I am going to have some cute spotty babies.

I have also taken photos of the parents. The white is the dad and the copper is the mum. The little copper who is pictured a little buried is still a juvenile.

My 3 adults are 11 inches (28cms) long and are about 3 years old.

I am creating a website to sell my babies as I feel uncomfortable about selling them into pet stores as every one of them insists on placing their axolotls on gravel. I know I am being precious, however by selling directly at least I can make sure the new owners have all the right information and hopefully avoid some common mistakes.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 73,612
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 9,989
Just restating my interest in a freckled white one and a copper one! Let me know as soon as you set up your site and I'll probably be one of your first customers ;)

Super keen!

Do you have any idea about pricing yet?

Website is done. My first effort, so be nice :eek:. I have posted it in the for sale section because of the babies I will be selling, however check it out as it has lots more photos of my babies and the parents.

Adorable Axolotls

I wish i could buy one of the white with freckles! To bad im in VIC :(

They are just lovely, I never get tired of looking at axolotl pics.

Suzie - I am flying to Melbourne on Thursday morning, do you think I can bring one on the plane with me?

PM if it is possible.

According to Qantas website
fresh water live fish (aquarium type) have to be sent by freight and cant go on the plane with you. =[
But.. at a different stage maybe you would be willing to send one as freight? :)

I will look into Virgin policies on transporting live fish.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back