Question: What plants do you recommend?

Lemi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Cassi
I've had amazon swords, but those didn't fare too well. I believe I have a 20 gallon (US) tank and one axolotl, but I may be getting a bigger tank and one more axolotl. I have heard of frogbit, java moss and fern, anacris, valisneria, and nymphaea, but I can't find anything on their compatibility with axolotls or whether they are toxic and the temperatures are compatible.

I've found the majority of low light plants I've tried in my axolotl tank do alright in my axolotl tank. I currently have guppy grass, cabomba, and wisteria growing fairly well in my tanks. I did try some red water mill foil, and one other plant I can't seem to remember, but they didn't too so well.

I use java moss and java fern, both seem to be doing well. I tried some water cabbage as i liked the idea of something floating on the top because of the low water level, looked great and the Axolotls would hide underneath it, but sadly it started to die off, not enough light i guess or not the right nutrients for it, gutted about that. Anyone else got any ideas about other successful floating plants?

I've got two Amazon swords in with mine which have been doing fine for a few months now. I haven't had the light on too much as they didn't like it but I leave it on for a few hours in the evening now that they have settled in more. The swords are the ones in pots which I sank into the sand.

I think Java moss would do fine as well and it can grow on bog wood if you have some in there. I have some in my CFBN tank on the cork bark and it seems to be doing ok. I will be interested to see what others use in their tanks because you get alot of people saying that they will pull out plants but mine have not been at all like that.

Best of luck with the plants you pick!

hornwort is another good low light, low temp plant.

Java moss and marimo moss work well for me. if you have sand and depending on how much natural light gets to the tanks banana plants are awesome... they don't look like much, but when grown out they have almost lilly pad type leaves that will float on the surface, giving coverage on the top like you were wanting.
I've had richia (sp?) floating on the top of my tank too... it can get a little messy when the edges start to die off though. but it does make a nice mat on the surface.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back