My tank set, I need advise

parkss86

Reaction score
Country
South Korea
Hello, my name is Julien and I am a noob to having axolotls and this is my second post after the introduction.
Recently I have purchased two Axolotls from Jay, it should arrive tomorrow or on Thursday.
Currently I have 20Gallon tank and below is what I have.
1. power filter (any suggestion to decrease the current? I tried to fill the tank all the way)
2. 3 live plants (tried to find moderate light living plant in low temperature)
3. 2 Mystery Snails and 5small snails (I do not know where they came from)
4. 3 Guppies and 2 females already pregnant.
5. black sand substrate
6. UV light used for my turtles (I am trying to find better light any suggestion low cost)
7. Thermometer my tank is about 26~28 degrees C. I know it has to be lower, so hard.:(

I am working on the temperature, which I need to lower it and I am thinking to get a fan, any good source I can purchase it locally? Please advise me if I need to modify more or change something. I have read many threads, it helped so much but it will be great to have more advises.

Thank you

Attachments

• ?? (1).jpg
    ?? (1).jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 190
  • ??.JPG
    ??.JPG
    261.6 KB · Views: 157
Looks great :] Nice job, glad to see you studied before you acquired your axolotls. I like your layout, I'd probably take out the one rock you have because when they reach size they'll ingest it but otherwise you're off to a great start.

1. use a waterbottle cut in half to divert the flow. If your axolotls still seemed stress out by the flow, then you may have to get a sponge filter, or a smaller filter
3.Get rid of the mystery snails, they are an impaction risk for your axolotl.
4. I personally wouldn't keep any feeder fish with your axolotls until they are big enough to eat them. Guppies may possibly nip their gills, and if your axolotls cannot eat them, there is nothing stopping them from nipping
6. I bought my planted aquarium light bulb from lowes. It was the fish/plant bulbs for $6. I think that's the way to go, just make sure the light spectrum is 6000 or above(i think, might want to double check that on google or something)
7. Way too hot, get a mesh lid on your tank(reptile lid) and a fan on top of the mesh lid. This should help lower the temp. Since it's summer walmart or any other convenience store should have plenty of fans in stock. Amazon also has plenty if you can't find one locally
Also is that a metal halide lamp? If so, that could be contributing to the heat. If not, then disregard that advise.

If you do remove the guppies, make sure to add an ammonia source to your tank to keep the beneficial bacteria alive so you don't kill your cycle

Just remove that light completely
You don't really NEED a light. It's too bright and it will make your water hot.

Remove that one red rock and the mystery snails.

If your axolotls aren't big enough to eat the guppies, remove them. They can nip your axies gills.

Thank you~ I thought that rock was big enough lol

What plants did you end up with?

they look kinda cool ;)

You would be surprised at how big a rock an axolotl can swallow. Better safe than sorry in my mind.

I got Jabomba, Wisteria, and one on very right, I forgot the name.
Jabomba and Wisteria is for tropical condition. Very last one it's supposed to live in 64~68 degrees F with lower light. Hopefully they don't die. lol

1. use a waterbottle cut in half to divert the flow. If your axolotls still seemed stress out by the flow, then you may have to get a sponge filter, or a smaller filter

Carson how do you make waterbottle cut in half?

If you can't work out the water bottle or it is too large for the tank you could try a piece of pipe along the back of the tank with a series of holes in it and a plug at the end. That should prevent a serious amount of current in the tank. Is it an internal filter? Mine is internal (I want to get an external for more space in tank) and the water lands back ontop of the filter and reduces flow that way.

Hope that is of some help? Tank looks great by the way!!

you just get a plastic water bottle, cut off the top/bottom, and then cut down the middle. While axolotls don't need light, plants do, so i would at least get a compact fluorescent light bulb to keep the plants alive. You have plenty of hides for your axolotl to escape the light if it really bothers him that much, and cfl's don't produce enough heat to change the temp of your water.

Get a hang on filter? Sock on the filter? Wrap a sponge round it?

Looks cool though! Nice to see that you did research axies prior to getting them!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back