Is it normal to have no algae in my tank?

Mandy6

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Mandy
So Alex's tank has been up and running fine for probably at least six months now. But I've never had any algae in it. Is this just because of the lack of light? Is it normal?

I was just thinking my betta tank, and my goldfish tank end up with a ton of algae but Alex's tank ends up with none. However both my betta tank and goldfish tank have lights on them wheras Alex's doesn't.

So is it just the lack of light and normal to have no algae? I mean I don't really mind, I hate cleaning up algae off the glass xD But if its not normal Ill want to figure it out

We have no algae in our tank either, until this week. The tank has been running for about 7 months, and is being siphoned weekly, along with a weekly water change. The last week was very busy though, and we missed cleaning it and sure enough, this weekend we saw a couple of small spots of algae.

I think it can be avoided altogether as long as you are being diligent with cleaning!

EDIT: just to clarify, we have never needed to clean the glass before.

algae grows in high light and and when it's got the nutrients it needs (nitrates). it's not a bad thing but a nicely cycled tank should have a small amount of it. chances are there is some somewhere but you haven't found it!

I occasionally get it but have never had a big outbrake of it. I get it in my 50L planted shrimp tank and I have to clean the glass weekly.

I think it may also be due to the temp of the tank, as well as the light. My tropical fish tank got algae relatively quickly, but my Axy tank has yet to get any on the glass.

My axie tank has algae and my saltwater tank gets algae. They never used to get so much algae when I lived in a different state. For me, I think the water has more nutrients for it.

Algae are very similar to plants and need the same stuff for their growth, so low light is a good reason that you wouldn't get much. Nitrates are important, too, so if you're changing the water a lot there's likely not enough to support much algae. Other nutrients like phosphorus and potassium come in as salts; harder water will have more of them, and they could be in water conditioners, especially the potassium. If any of those things are missing, you won't get much algae growth.

Light does seem like the obvious reason since you have other tanks and probably use the same water in all of them -- and I wouldn't worry about it, just be glad you don't have to scrape. :)

Thanks guys ^_^ And yea, using the same wate so I assumed the lack of water was teh reason. Im glad I dont have to scrape algae off another tank XD

I very rarely get algae in my axie tanks... mine's mostly due to the live plants I keep in the tanks. They use up the available nutrients and none is really left for any algae to grow.

I've found the water in my city is VERY chlorinated... I mean it smells like a hot tub coming out of the faucet. I think that is part of it too.

I purpousely grow algae in my river tank for my sewellia colony but I have crazy lights on there with high kelvin.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back