Question: How do you feed the live guppies?

daremo

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Hi

I have a tank full of guppies, there are very small ones and adult ones... I was wondering if I could give a couple to my axies for them to hunt...

I have a 19 cm axie and a smaller one about 15 cm...

the guppies are living in their own tank, they were born there, but they are in warm water (26°C).. would it be a problem if I put them in the cold water of my axies tank?

thanks!

You can put them with your axies. I would float them first and get the water temp the same first tho.

I have a breeder tank of both guppies and endlers and i've never had an issue putting the guppies (from warm water) into my axie tanks (room temp). I used to just keep my feeder's at room temp, but they seem to breed more prolific with warmer water.

I've never had any guppies die from the temp change, they all stay alive until eaten.

thanks guys!! I will give it a try I think ... :)

The guppies are really useful if you are going on vacation. My sitter will not go NEAR my axie's LOL... she'll feed the dang dwarf rat and the turtles!

So depending on how long i'm gone i'll dump in a good dozen or so guppies and they will eat them over a couple of days.

excellent!!

another question... is it the same if I add adult guppies or smaller? female or male? and the bones of them will be no problem for the axies right?

I usually pick a feeder the same size as the food i'm feeling. But the larger axie's will happily eat smaller guppies.

male or female doesn't matter.

i've never had them have any issues with bones.

Last edited:
I keep guppy fry with my juveniles and they hunt them down themselves, my adults however dont even try to catch them so i despatch the guppys with a flick to the back of the head before they get eaten.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back