Tank Upgrade Questions

Kenneth

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kenneth
Hello, tank questions this time. Some info : 1one 1 year old axie, roughly 6 inches, 10 gallon tank, sponge filter up to 20, tank cycling for 3 weeks about. (Keep in mind I plan on getting another axie at end of year) Ok so I was at Petco today and saw that the tanks were on mega sale. I was thinking of getting a 20 gallon tank recently but I saw the 40 gallon for only $40!!! Instead of $150...that's a steal lol...so I'm gonna get that or a 30 and my questions are:

1.) Since bb lives (developing) in my sponge filter, moss ball, and java fern plant will they transfer just fine and continue the cycle? And I'm guessing I will need many more live things for the 40 gallon.

2.) And ill need a new sponge filter for the larger tank, or can I get another 20 gal sponge filter? Sorry if this question seems silly.

3.) In the 10 gallon tank right now: the water is rather high because it has to be. The sponge filter is tall and I have to have the water cover it (I think tank is 13" high, and I think my water is like an inch away from top. The 40 is taller, but I should not fill it super high correct? For one that would weigh a TON and I'm worried about the table supporting it, but is there an ideal height? (It's a 40 gallon long tank not tall)

4.) This may just seem dumb...but if I got this tank she would be the only axie in it til I got her friend, is this TOO much room for her? I assume no, I mean I could never have enough room, but asking couldn't hurt

Thanks in advance :happy:

1. Absolutely, best way to cycle in my opinion is to use established filter media. If you're not increasing the bio load when you switch tanks the bb in your filter should be sufficient for your new tank, as it's the ammonia level your bb uses, not the aquarium size.
2. Honestly biological filtration really depends on your bio load. You could very well get away with 1 sponge filter on a 40 breeder with 1 axolotl, possibly 2. With a 40 gallon tank I might be tempted to get a filter that supplies better mechanical filtration, but that's totally up to you. sponge filters can totally filter your tank, just keep an eye on the ammonia levels to make sure they're keeping up. Your axolotl will not care about mechanical filtration, so long as there is no ammonia/nitrite you're going to have a happy axolotl filtration wise
3. I would fill the tank all the way. The more water you have in the tank the more diluted the nitrate will be. I keep my 40 breeder filled all the way, as there's really no reason not to(save for structural support). If your table could support it, I'd fill it up all the way.
4. The only concern when it comes to too much space is the axolotl's ability to find food. If you hand feed like many do, this isn't a concern. If you don't hand feed, just make sure your axie is getting the food when you feed her.

:happy:Thanks carson, helpful as always:happy:...yeah i'll have to be the judge of the sponge filter situation, theyre inexpensive enough to upgrade. Lol well i heard 40 gallons can weigh upwards of 400 lbs - 500, so im just a little concerned with that. I have this nice IKEA table I bought, and it supports me and my gf if we stand on it (granted we arent 500 lbs or even 400 lol), but if you know about IKEA..i may not trust it hahaha.

And i generally handfeed, I want to get her used to hunting at the bottom, but she just knows when its feeding time and goes up. And you go to college too right? do you live in an apartment or the dorms? If it were the dorms where do you place yours, like is a good table provided already?

I live in an apartment off campus, so I get more room to fit tanks. Important thing to check before you upgrade is the tank size your college dorm allows. I had a 40 breeder that I was going to use in my dorm room, however my dorm only allowed 20 gallons, and I luckily found out before I drove all the way home and grabbed the tank, and brought it back to campus. I honestly have no idea where you would stick a 40 breeder, unless you were ok with using a desk(my roommate only used his desk as a dirty laundry hamper). We're provided desks at my dorm, so I used my desk for my 20 gallon tank. When I moved off campus I picked up a $15 desk off craigslist that holds my 40 breeder just fine.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah it was $20 and its that cork wood I think, not the rly heap kind idk, ill test it, is that what yours is? Yeah they don't allow a/c either but I don't care and thy don't ask lol, it gets hot they can deal. But yeah, she's gonna love her tank :)

mines a pretty sold desk, it's made out of wood. not sure if i'd trust cork wood either.

Yeah ill have to get like 4 ppl to stand on it to test....sounds safe I know, its really thick and two levelled tho for extra support, but ah we digress from axolotl lol my fault.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back