Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Maggots off stinky dead things?

Molch

Reaction score
My doggie and I regularly come across dearly-departed denizens of the tundra on our forays and hikes (well; she finds most of them). Often, they have yummy white maggots on them.

Can I collect these and feed to the newts? Or is there any reason that maggots fed on dead tundra meat might be harmful? I suspect these are fly maggots of some kind.

Here is the Pudden with her latest conquest; a mature muskox bull who expired in a willow thicket. Only his bones were there, but plenty of maggots still clung to those.

On this particular occasion, the only container I had on me was my lunch box, and I wasn't gonna put those maggots on my sandwich...

Attachments

• IMG_5388.jpg
    IMG_5388.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 9,462
  • IMG_5390.jpg
    IMG_5390.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 12,424
  • IMG_5388a.jpg
    IMG_5388a.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 6,138

rethgar

Reaction score
I would have thought maggots would be pretty fatty. Assuming it didn't die as a result of poisoning or something similar I can't see too much of a problem with it

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I once found several Desmognathus packed tighter than a sausage full of maggots from a rotting deer. They seemed quite happy until my girlfriend picked them up. Then they vomited still-writhing maggots all over her hands.

It was a touching moment, and convinced me that she was a top notch woman, so we are married now. :)

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I use maggots. I culture my own and during the warmer months I'll stick a few fish carcasses out in the backyard. I'm sure the neighbors hate me for it but my salamanders sure don't!

Molch

Reaction score
good to know. Just came back from a hike where I found a dead moose. Will return there and bravely pluck some maggots off the skin. Just gotta watch over my shoulder so I don't get plucked by a griz myself who might consider that carcass his property, hehe

Justin - what's your culturing method for maggots? Is it incredible gross and stinky? My house is small...or is there a way to do it without going into a permanent gag reflex?

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I have collected them off of dead catfish I leave in the woods. They work great.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I culture them in a large container (I use one with more vertical space) with a screen lid. The bottom of the container has a slight layer of coco fiber. I have one bowl that has the egg laying medium and one petri dish with sugar cubes/powdered milk/water. I also add one tomato, cut in half once every 2 weeks or so.

The egg laying medium consists of powdered sugar, crushed dog food, and a little bit of yeast. It is moistened until it's a little runnier than mashed potatoes.

Start off with a small amount of medium. If it's too large and there aren't enough maggots to effectively "turn it over" then it will become mouldy and smelly. This is mainly a trial and error process at first.

Molch

Reaction score
thanks, I gotta try this. Do you just catch ordinary house flies to get going? and what's a good temperature?

I'm glad the culture medium doesn't involve decomposing body parts or chopped bits-of-mother-in-law. Powdered sugar and dog food ...yum yum.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I started my cultures by collecting maggots from rotting fish I had sitting outside a few years ago.

My cultures stay in the 70-80°F range

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1