Axolotl eggs all over fish tank

alamao

Reaction score
Country
Australia
G'day all
I have a problem or actually a surprise. My Axolotls have finally mated and i have about 25 eggs all of different sizes. The male axolotl was eating them so I managed to get them all out with a very large suringe I used to use to getting black worms out of a bag. anyways i have saved them and put them in a half milk bottle. What the hell am I supposed to do now?

decide if you want to raise them! If not flush them now. If you do, put them in a plastic tub with a low water level and wait a few weeks for them to hatch. Once they hatch, they will need tiny live food untill they are about 5cm long. This can take several months so you will have to raise live food for them for some time.

there are some good details here:

Axolotls - Rearing from Egg to Adult

Caudata Culture Articles - Microfoods

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...rine-shrimp-hatching-harvesting-tutorial.html

remember their water will need changing every day too (dechlorinated). And they will try to eat each other so keeping them in sepperate containers is advised.

how do you know if they are fertile and she is still laying them

They usually lay over a period of a few days, so i would remove the male and leave her for a while, so he doesn't eat them! She will be very wrestless while she is laying.

If she has layed them, they will be fertile, they do not lay unfertilised eggs. Some will become unfertile as they start to develop and turn white, but it usually isn't that many.

If you choose to raise them. I'd get to the petshop soon and get some BBS they take 12-48 hours to hatch and are a great starter for your axie (if you can get some daphnia thats good, but its hard to find in Australia, unless you collect yourself from a pond). They wont need to feed them straight after hatching tho as their bellies are still full from eating there way out. Your going to need a lot of de-chlorinated water as they need 90-100% water changes daily. If you choose to only keep a few to grow yourself, you can advertise on here while there still in there eggs they can be posted, their might be someone still after eggs, allthough its that time of year for axies to be breeding in aus while the temps rising.

Please keep us all up to date if you choose to keep them.
Hope this helps:happy:

I have ordered some microworms off ebay. The mother axolotl is golden and the eggs are white but the father is black. the eggs are supposed to be white if the mother is golden or albino right?

Yes all help everyone is giving me is very helpful. THANKS

Hey. remember microworms will only support them for the first few weeks of life, they outgrow them quickly. Yes, golden albinos lay white eggs, no matter what colour the babies will be.

Thanks for the input sweetcheeks. What is the best food for them after a few weeks? Also whats the best way to maintain there water quality i trust obviously a filter is out and only use an air stone and so maybe 10% water changes every couple of days

you can try adult daphnia are good if you can get your hands on some then chopped bloodworms, generally you introduce the blood worms when their front legs have developed. As for the water changes my axies are 15-20mm and I do 90% now and in a few weeks i'm going to try around 60-70% water changes and turkey baster out the leftover as usual.

turkey baster?
They seem to be going to be a lot like frogs eggs
I found some frogs eggs when i was a kid
I ended up raising them into green pond frogs.
I figure if they are basically the same and I managed to raise them when I was 8 i should be able to do it at 26

A turkey baster is the cooking utensil used for stuffing a turkey i'm pretty sure. They are hard to explain so here's a link to one on ebay so you get the idea(TURKEY BASTER -CLEAR HEAT RESISTANT TUBE-NEW | eBay), I'm using a battery filler atm as they are similar and thats all i can get my hands on other than small eye droppers from the chemists.

Unfortunately I never got to raise tadpoles tho I always wanted too:( but I think axies can be raised easily when well researched and you have plenty of food resources (its easy enough to run out of food but very hard at times to come by it) and space. I highly advise you to have a look at the links yellowpebble supplied if you haven't already. It's got a lot of information that helped me out when i prepared for axies this time last year. Anymore questions please ask we are all more than happy to answer them when we can.:happy::happy:

Hey Thanks
Sorry I haven't replied in 2 days I have been very busy.
The slime stuff is going dark like nearly black i think but the jelly around the eggs and the eggs themselves are the same. If you want i'll tke a photo of it.

There is sand in there aswell. There all in a pile because I didn't want to mess with them. There is also a long one it looks kind of deformed. There are two different sizes aswell.

Attachments

• SAM_0202.jpg
    SAM_0202.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 15,079
They change shape and get longer as they develop. They also grow. Axolotls and frogs have one important larvae care difference; tadpoles eat algae and plant matter. Axolotl larvae do not. Seems like a minor difference, but it is the line between easy, and challenging/time consuming.

Was that photo taken today or when they were first laid? If it was taken today I would expect to see that they had developed the crescent shape unless you are keeping them in very cold water. I thinkl you will probably find that any mis-shaped eggs or the larger ones will not develop and just turn milky white. Good luck with them.

Regards Neil

It was taken today
Its freezing cold here mate
Even though its spring it may as well be the middle of winter.

Sorry these arn't the best pictures

Attachments

• SAM_0205.jpg
    SAM_0205.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 7,812
  • SAM_0206.jpg
    SAM_0206.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 16,631
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back