Are melanoids always tiny?

yellowpebble

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Rachel
They seem to grow slower too. Or is that just me?

I seem to have a couple that are slower growers than the others.

Pretty sure all my brown babies are wilds to I'm no help here.. Interestingly enough though.. it seems all my wilds are growing the fastest! Oh and my goldens eat the most and have fat tummys lol :p

ha thats the same with mine, the wild types are longer but the golden ones are fatter!

Yeah they do seem to grow slower, i wonder if they reach a smaller size also?

Ive only got 17 babies left(i sold 3..go....me) but 14 of them are roughly the same size and then the other three are noteably smaller but they have the longest cutest red gills and they are also the lighter coloured ones in the group.

My last batch (165ish babies) the wilds were the fastest growers but the melanoids weren't far behind them.

What's funny is the hypomelanistic wilds and Hypomelanistic melanoids grew at about the same rate as each other but were slower than their 'normal' siblings

All are much the same size now though. I do have one super big Wild and a few 'runts' but otherwise they are pretty much even now that their a bit over 7 months old.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back