Question: Axolotl Poo not normal ? Gills curled forward. I'm very concerned. Any advice please ?

MrsGimmik

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone !
As of right now I noticed my Axolotl Gills are curled forward, and her poo has changed. I started to feed her night crawlers (Purchased at a local petstore) and ever since then her poo been broken down. Is this normal if fed worms ? Been about a week I been feeding her worms and give her a few pellets to mix with. Is this a sign of stress ? Her temperature is 68-70. Yes I know pretty high but I do try my best to keep it down, she lives in a 55 gal tank and I put 5 2liters of frozen soda bottles (filled with dechlorinated water) in there to keep her cool everyday. She eats perfectly fine and normal. Any suggestions ?

Thanks ! !

If the change has come on since the nightcrawlers, stop feeding them to her and go back to pellets. If she doesn't improve after a few weeks, assume its the tempurature.

Gills curling forward is a sign of stress, have you checked your water parameters recently? It couldn't hurt to do that to just make sure it's not a water problem. Otherwise I'd probably agree to stop with the nightcrawlers for the time being and see if there's a change.

I know the basic water levels and I would like to be sure before I test out for nitrate, PH, Ammonia ect. Can anyone give me the correct water levels so I can have this all written down and double check what I have written down already.:rolleyes:

ammonia/nitrite should be 0. Nitrate should be less than 40 ppm's, and don't worry about ph. The important thing about ph is stability, which is why messing with it usually causes more problems then it solves

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back