Question: Coating coral?

Should I put this coral in my tank?

• Yes, as long as its clean, go for it.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Maybe. Put a clear, aquarium safe coating on it first.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No! Its too risky, even with your quarantine tank!

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chemgrl08

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm getting ready to introduce my axies into their tank (its been forever to setup,) and I found a few pieces of (dead) coral on the beach. I soaked them in a bleach solution, rinsed them well, and was thinking of putting them in my tank as decoration... but I am pretty nervous about doing so. I know that coral can decay and change the pH and hard water level, plus that's assuming I killed any and all nasty little marine buggers that may have been hanging out on it. Are there any coatings I can use to make this coral aquarium safe? Like, some kind of epoxy resin coating? I have a separate "quarantine" tank that I can use to test out and monitor before putting into the actual tank. Suggestions? Or do most of you think it's just too risky?

I think coating it MIGHT work
You for sure can't toss it is plain even if you cleaned it.
But I just wouldn't add it at all because I'm all about being better safe than sorry :p

Could always use a sacrificial guppy/shrimp population. Lose your shrimp, you know you're not safe. Lose your guppies, run away as fast as possible...Perhaps also soak for a month with carbon in?

The thing with coral skeletons is that they will drastically up the PH of the tank

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back