Will Guppies eat eggs?

Dexter

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Y'all. I bought about 10 Guppies yesterday and about the same little neons, today there are zero neons and 2 worried looking Guppies, they swam too close and... Gone !
I kept sum other guppies in a separate tank for breeding.
But as my female is due to lay eggs, will the Guppies (if they survive the night) eat her eggs?
The little buggers also nip the females gills, not so much the male, He's black.

If your guppies are nipping gills its probally best to remove them as a nip could open the way to a fungal infection, if you want to use them as food you can always kill them first, a flick to the back of the head works well. As for guppies eating axolotl eggs i would be amazed if they didnt have a go at them but your axolotl will probally lay loads so it wont impact them numbers too much.
If your using shop bought fish its advisable to quaranteen them as they can carry disease/parasites.

There seemed to be more confidence frm the guppy community when there were 6 of them! nipping at the gills.I think the last 2 are keeping a wide berth. I've set up a seperate tank for breeding them!
Think the axo's are safer if they stick together, watch each others backs!
better than TV though, watching the Guppies swim closer and closer until Chomp!:D

Guppies are vegetarians and will ignore the axie eggs. None of my guppies have ever been spotted having a go at any of the eggs or the axies gills for that matter :rolleyes: maybe we just have less aggressive guppies here.

Could be the trick is to only have females in with the axies. Male guppies will nip at other males tails... it's a dominance thing :rolleyes: and I could see how a poor male could be intimidated and confuse a set of beautiful fluffy axie gills for another male guppies tail. Just a thought though since I only really have females in the axie tank and we're yet to loose a single bit of fluff.

I wouldn't trust em around eggs. Eggs can't defend themselves and I would be afraid of them nipping eggs and allowing all kinds of possible nasties in if not just all out eating them.

I've tried with a way to get rid of infertile eggs, it as free food haha. But no they cant eat it but can play around with them, and eventually squish the eggs, so remove the guppies!!

Guppies are vegetarians and will ignore the axie eggs.

Guppies are used for mosquito control, they will also eat brine shrimp, bloodworm and a variety of invertebrates, they even eat the beefheart i give to my angel fish.
My guppies stay away from my axolotls and ive never seen them nip gills.

I wont put any more in there for a bit now, they chewed through about 6 of them in a day, plus about 10 neon tetras. Still 2 guppies left, for now! the Axies are resting and have assumed a top and tail defensive position... Seems to be survival of the fittest? 2 smart Guppies left, and they staying well clear!
The female is egg bound and must be almost ready to lay? She;s looking like a sausage and aint moving much, hiding out in the cave.. She seems to have trouble keeping her tail down/\?
Ballast? She appears to be nose down a lot of the time, with her tail 'floating'.
Otherwise fine!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back