Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

R.I.P. Gonzo

happycamper

Reaction score
I just wanted to post a warning that buying and axolotl from Wards is risky business. I knew it seemed too good to be true, the price was right... So instead of being patient and waiting for my local pet shop to get some axolotls I ordered from wards. Big mistake.

When Gonzo arrived he was terribly sickly, missing 3 limbs and not very active. They shipped him with a heat pack, which i figured was a bad sign right off the bat. I nursed him back to health, but he never thrived. His whole short life was a struggle. :mad:

His tank mate Judy, whom I bought locally, is thriving. This leads me to believe it was either genetics, or he was in such terrible conditions before he was sent to me he was never able to recover.

Anyhow, I have been away from the forum for a while. I will post some recent pics of Judy as soon as I am able.

xxianxx

Reaction score
An axolotl with three missing limbs should never have been supplied, did you complain to the company?

xxianxx

Reaction score
You might want to tell them that your story is being told to thousands of potential customers and their complete lack of care for their stock and poor customer service will cost them buisness.
Can you report them to an animal protection authority?

happycamper

Reaction score
I will write up another email, and if I fail to get a response again, or get an unacceptable response I will look into reporting them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1