Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank In progress

krex

Reaction score
I just got a tank to start up for an Axie. :D Its a 10 gallon that I got at petsmart. It came with a Aqueon quiet flow filter and a hood. I bought the 10 gallon because the shelf I had was to small for anything bigger, but that shelf broke and now my new shelf is big enough for a 20 gallon. I foresee a bigger tank in the future. ;) I believe the rocks are feller rock or something like that. I'm cycling the tank now and have got some minnows in there to help out. I'm going to eventually switch out the fake plants for some real ones and will probably get some more rocks.
I can tell already that my filter has to much flow because the sand is moving where the stream is. How can I modify the filter so that it has less flow?

Attachments

• 100_3627.jpg
    100_3627.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_3628.jpg
    100_3628.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 144

Jade x

Reaction score
That looks great!! :) With the filter, i have the same problem, i have to position the filter so that its shooting the water against the glass, so that the flow isnt strong. Thats the only way i could stop my axies being dragged round the tank with the current :') xx

smily sam

Reaction score
Some ways you can decrease the flow of the filter by, one turning down the filter, two by putting an obstacle in the way like for example a large rock and thirdly you can make/buy a spray bar by getting some tubing and attaching it to the filter outlet then put some small halls along the tubing, there is a rather basic spray bar, I am sure someone else will have a better example for one. Alternately you could get a different filter like a sponge filter.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Sam:happy:

xxianxx

Reaction score
Nice looking tank, if you intend to have your light on during daylight hours you may want to consider some floating plants(plastic/real), axolotls like a bit of shade and ive found mine to be more active with a bit of overhead cover.

krex

Reaction score
The light came with the tank. i am only using it now, because I have some fish in there. I'm thinking of putting in the special night time lightbulbs when I get an Axie or i'll just get rid of the light.

ZoeT94

Reaction score
If you can, put something over the output, like a tube, then direct it right into the glass?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1