Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Introducing axolotls?

erin24

Reaction score
Hi! I have no yet acquired axolotls HOWEVER, I plan on it, when i complete a proper setup and make sure I understand everything I need to know.

QUESTION: If I purchase a single axolotl juvenile, raise it to adulthood (not cannibalistic stage),how does one introduce another adult? They would be of the same gender and size, I would purchase a 5 inch to put with my 5 inch axolotl. Do I need to rearrange the cage to make it neutral territory? I find no information on the topic anywhere, so I thought id ask! What steps would one take to introduce and also is there an advantage to male/male versus female female? I'm more prone to go male/male.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Axolotls arnt particularly territorial, though they often have favourite spots in the tank they dont generally fight over them , they just sit on each other till one gets fed up and clears off lol. Adults are generally chilled out with each other, occasional scuffles over food, they do bite each other and can cause limb removal/tail/gill damage but most of the time its probally accidental as they strike things that pass their line of site and are not deliberatley targeting a tankmate. You may have problems sexing a five inch axolotl but there is no problems with mixing sexes, or having same sex pairs. As long as your axolotls are about the same size aggression probally wont be a problem, your biggest problem will be getting your water quality right. Good luck.

You posted "cage", hope it was a typo lol

Last edited:

Kenneth

Reaction score
This was helpful as I was planning on asking the same thing lol, mine is 6 inches about

xxianxx

Reaction score
This was helpful as I was planning on asking the same thing lol, mine is 6 inches about

Axolotls mature differently, i have a six and seven inch and im not 100% sure of what they are yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenneth

Reaction score
I really want to get "her" a friend, but I want to make sure "she" is a "she". I do not want 50 babies swimming around. My gf thinks its a girl...of course, and the lady I got it from said she was as well, but she was not very knowledgable in taking care of them so I am beginning to doubt this. Is there any other way besides the size of their bump to tell their gender?

xxianxx

Reaction score
I really want to get "her" a friend, but I want to make sure "she" is a "she". I do not want 50 babies swimming around. My gf thinks its a girl...of course, and the lady I got it from said she was as well, but she was not very knowledgable in taking care of them so I am beginning to doubt this. Is there any other way besides the size of their bump to tell their gender?

You can make generalisations about axolotl sex differences but you need identification in an individual case so it may not be accurate to try. Your probally best waiting till the axolotl is mature enough to make a positive identification. If you want to shut your gf up, wave a chocolate bar infront of the tank, if the axolotl breaks through the glass to get it, its a female, if not its a male.

xxianxx

Reaction score
whats she doing outside the kitchen anyways? xD

Dude that is so uncalled for, ladies are allowed out the kitchen occasionaly!!!!!!!! if not are you prepared to do the vaccuming? Im a commited femanist, i believe ladies should be allowed to do "mens" stuff ie catching spiders and drinking beer, as long as my dinners on the table and the houseworks done they will find no complaints off me!

Last edited:

erin24

Reaction score
I am a woman lol, I find "supposed" gender roles to be humorous. I did not mean to offend anyone, but cultural norms for you , may not be the same for someone else. However if you were a feminist by culture standard you wouldn't mention about dinner being on the table, or housework. xD anyways how'd we get off topic.

xxianxx

Reaction score
I am a woman lol, I find "supposed" gender roles to be humorous. I did not mean to offend anyone, but cultural norms for you , may not be the same for someone else. However if you were a feminist by culture standard you wouldn't mention about dinner being on the table, or housework. xD anyways how'd we get off topic.

LOL, im a femanist in the sense that i believe ladys should be allowed to jobs traditionaly assigned to men, however i reserve the righ to avoid jobs tradditionaly assigned to ladys, a woman wants a career , thats fine by me as long as i dont have to do any extra work.
I assumed you were a male (sorry) because you came out with a typical chauvanistic remark and my reply was tongue in cheek, as is this one.

Last edited:

erin24

Reaction score
lol dude, I'm not a feminist, I think MOST women good at sandwichs and if they're happy being the housewife, fine, but dude if she has to work AND do housework, thats sooo messed up. You get to clock out and you're done? You can't clock out from your home :p I don't have any female friends, so I cannot really speak for them, but I'm great at math and science, so I'll probably need a househusband to do everything.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1