Question: Can we feed frozen bloodworms to larvae?

NooNoo Kz

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Nick & Kasey
Hey there, some of my larvae are almost a week old and are looking fairly good sized. I was wondering if I chop up my frozen bloodworm really small and throw it in the top if as it thaws out and floats down to the bottom if theyd be able to eat it? has anyone else done this before??
thanks!

hey. At this stage they will have to be moving for yor babies to eat them. Try chopping them and swishing the water around a bit. When they get towards the 3cm mark you can wiggle bits of bloodworm in front of their face with tweezers and they should snap at it.

I thought this may be a good idea, but because theyre frozen they are frozen in blocks so they need to thaw out before I swish the water, but yeah they ate dead daphnia as well as live because it was floating around so I'll give it a shot. I think I may have seen one leg bug but I'm hoping it wasnt my imagination as legs would help alot at the moment!! Some are at 2cm abouts at the moment, with big enough mouths for a small peice of bloodworm. thanks Rachel!

No worries. You do not have to defrost the bloodworm, i find it messy. I found chopping the frozen cube with a sharp knife easier, then you just pop the little chunks in with the babies and it will defrost into the water.

Yeap! It defrosts fast anyway in the water so i like to leave it lol! when I run out of daphnia I will probably go with this method!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back