Godzilla in Perth, Australia

Godzilla

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,

I'm new in keeping an axolotl but so far I'm loving it! They are certainly entertaining.
I bought Godzilla, a wild type axolotl, about 2 months ago and he has grown so fast, I've had to get a bigger tank to cater for his energy and put larger pebbles in the tank with fear he may swallow the smaller pebbles.
A few weeks ago, I noticed him getting fatter and fatter. I have come to the conclusion he is actually a she, and she may be carrying eggs. I have read up on this forum and tried looking for more information, but not having much luck.
Basically, I only have the one axie and I thought they only lay eggs if there is a male around lol. So any comments/help would be much appreciated.

Maybe he/she is just chubby. Godzilla is well loved and LOVES beef heart.

He has a cheeky grin.
271196_2094791802545_1027827803_4120945_3888565_n.jpg

Sometimes he is shy of the camera.
264284_2099225513385_1027827803_4127786_2694078_n.jpg

Feeding time - also note the big belly (eggs or no eggs?? please help??)
308568_2246214988030_1027827803_4325545_273020952_n.jpg

Possible bloating or impaction. The pebbles in that tank are the perfect size to swallow and get stuck inside the Axie. Usually for Axolotls you should only use sand or large rocks.

Thanks Frogman. I will take that into consideration.

I have just came back from the pet shop where I spoke to a young guy who owns axie's. He was very helpful. I showed him the picture of Godzilla and he thinks he is just a very fat male who needs to be put on a diet lol.

I have bought him some frozen food which contains mussels, clams, octopus, fish, lean roo meat, plankton, shrimp, spinach, corn, green beans, zucchini, carrot, wheat germ and dietry fibre. Fed him half a block today and he loves it.

I haven't noticed him pooping much, so hopefully this will get his bowels moving again (Could be another reason he is bloated).

I was also told to take the heater out, even though I only had it set on 20 degrees Celsius (which is what I was told to set it to), apparently the cooler the temp, the less they eat?

If that doesn't work and he's still a fatty, I will remove the pebbles and replace it with the sand (sand looks awesome too).

I agree with Frogman on the peddles. Bare bottom works great, sand (swallow layer) or large rocks would also be a good choice.

I personally think the block concoction you are giving it is junk. Most of that seems alot more harmful than good for an axie. Please switch to something that is a better fit, like earthworms, bloodworms, etc.

Lastly, I am thrilled to hear you took the heater out as the lower you have the temperature the better (and heather) your "godzilla" will be. The low temp allows the metabolism to slow down which results in less eating but also allows the axie’s body to do what it does best. In most cases people put there axies in the refrigerator with clean water until the object passes and/or the axie gets better.

I would highly suggest keeping the axie cool, reduce feeding and change diet. I would go on the side of caution before assuming it is a gravid she.

Good luck,

Mitch

Thanks Frogman. I will take that into consideration.

I have just came back from the pet shop where I spoke to a young guy who owns axie's. He was very helpful. I showed him the picture of Godzilla and he thinks he is just a very fat male who needs to be put on a diet lol.

I have bought him some frozen food which contains mussels, clams, octopus, fish, lean roo meat, plankton, shrimp, spinach, corn, green beans, zucchini, carrot, wheat germ and dietry fibre. Fed him half a block today and he loves it.

I haven't noticed him pooping much, so hopefully this will get his bowels moving again (Could be another reason he is bloated).

I was also told to take the heater out, even though I only had it set on 20 degrees Celsius (which is what I was told to set it to), apparently the cooler the temp, the less they eat?

If that doesn't work and he's still a fatty, I will remove the pebbles and replace it with the sand (sand looks awesome too).
nope, not male but definitely female . . . but probably not carrying any eggs just bloated but there is a probability of impaction due to the pebbles as said by frogman

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back