Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The flamingo effect

pent565

Reaction score
I had a thought, and I'm wondering if anyone has any data. If a person were to feed their feeders, such as worms, shrimp, etc, with red algae, like those color enhancing fish flake foods, would the axolotl consuming thesel, if leucistic, or albino, turn bright pink?

Or would carrots have the same effect, but with orange? The pigments in these foods don't really break down, and are readily absorbed into the bloodstream.

Flamingos are not pink, they are white, and if fed a diet containing none of the shrimp that consume red algae, they go back to being white. Has anyone ever tried this?

HappySkittles

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure feathers and skin don't work the same way so I don't think the same concept would work for an axolotl.

HappySkittles

Reaction score
That's pretty common for such animals to change color a little bit to match the surroundings :)

Niels D

Reaction score
Still there are many keepers who giver their animals (like H.orientalis and B. orientalis) carotenoids for brighter red colours. CB firebellies will get yellow bellies if they don't get enough carotenoids.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!