Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Scar wound on the upper jaw

Icarez

Reaction score
Hi there,

My axie has some strange chunk out of his upper lip, I wondered if it could do any harm or make it difficult to eat for him.
And I could use some advice on treatment if nessesary.

Here's a picture:

dcy3r6.jpg

Thanks in advance

rebel

Reaction score
Has it got any other tank mates with it?

Morrison

Reaction score
I've had an axie with a scar on his mouth. Never was a big problem.
(It was a small axie that I've rescued from a pet store who just wanted to get rid of him because they realized that they didn't know how to take care of him. He also had more issues but fully recovered. But only a scar on his mouth left).

Oh one thing for sure: please please get the gravel out. Axies can and will eat it, which isn't good:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/images/articles/illness/axie_stone1.jpg

Also food and other 'unwanted stuff' will end up trapped between the rocks which eventually isn't good for the water quality and your axies.

blackdog

Reaction score
If you have clean , cool water the wound should heal fine, keep an eye out for fungus but otherwise dont stress.

If it is on it's own in the tank i'd probably cast a critical eye over the tank furniture to work out what he knocked it on - then remove / adapt it so it might not happen again. If it has a tank mate it's probably just a bite, watch for aggressive behaviour, use a tank divider if need be.

I too think the rocks you have are not a good idea. I know you didn't ask for feedback on your substrate, but don't let it hurt your feelings, take the critique in the spirit it is meant (the best interests of your axie)

Bren

Icarez

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I'll have a good look at my tank furniture.
The gravel is aprox 2-2,5cm wide, My axies are getting close to 15cm so it's indeed almost time to get them out, don't worry for now :) they try sometimes and they can't even get their jaw arround them yet.

I learned small axies can have some problems with sand so I started off with this big gravel for them to strengthen their legs and ensure there's no sand intake when their young.

However below the rocks their's 3cm of sand wich will be reveiled once I get the gravel out, this is scheduled for this week or next :)

My axie has one tankmate, it's the same size as him and between the 2 there has never been agression except to the occasional "bite a leg reflex"

Anyways thanks for the advice, i'll keep an eye on it but for now it indeed already seems to heal :)

Cheers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1