Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Eggs!!

sushiNpearl

Reaction score
I cleaned out the tank on saturday and on sunday these were scattered all over my plastic plants. They look like the pics of eggs that I have seen. Do all of them look ok to you guys?

We are in the process of getting some brine shrimp and I always keep the cooler set to 55*F. I seperated the eggs into my fish hatchery which I have in the same tank near the bubbler. Is it ok to leave them in there? This is my first time to have eggs and I feel pretty clueless.

Thanks!

Attachments

• P9131174.jpg
    P9131174.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 740

nina89

Reaction score
Thats too cold, axolotl adults are sugested to be at 16-18 degrees and eggs at no more than 25 degrees and thats pushing it. I would suggest you remove the cooler and let the tank warm on its own you dont want sudden water changes its not good for your axies. at 12degrees they will take forever to hatch and its not suggested.
The usual with eggs is to either remove them from tank or leave them and remove the parents, what your doing should do fine, once they have hatched tho you should remove them to smaller tubs with an air stone and 100% water changes daily(dechlorinated water only)
Please read the sticky in this section it is really good.
Any questions just ask, good luck and keep us updated;)

I forgot to ask are they all the eggs they had cos a lot of them dont look so good, be sure to remove the ones that aren't clear(white and hazy is not good) they are not good for the other eggs or your tank water. also if she's in the middle of laying you should leave her be a little while until she's done then remover the eggs carefully.

Last edited:

sushiNpearl

Reaction score
All of the eggs are clearish with a dark grey spot in the middle. In the picture they look a little cloudy because the camera had a hard time focusing on them.

I read the sticky thread, it has alot of good information in it. Thanks for the tip about the water temps. Here in Texas we have to use a water chiller because its so hot, the axolotls dont mind the temp we keep it at but the eggs are probably a different story. Ill set it for 74* and watch the magic happen.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think that's too cold. They will take longer to hatch out at lower temperatures though. I would not set it as high as 74F. That's quite warm for axolotl standards, even eggs.

A, F, and G look like they might not be fertile. It's hard to tell from the picture though. The rest look like they're already showing signs of neural crest development.

I don't usually remove any eggs until I have little axolotls. Then you can be reasonably assured the rest aren't going to develop. Having infertile eggs usually won't harm the fertile ones. They do sometimes become fungus-y, however, and those should be removed.

Eggs don't need any water changes. When the larvae hatch, how often you do water changes will depend on how you keep them: how many per container, what you're feeding, and what kind of water you're using. I prefer water from my adult tank over straight tap water for larval water changes.

sushiNpearl

Reaction score
Thanks Kaysie!

I have the chiller set for 72* right now, which I thought was pretty warm.

Ill keep watching them, G does appear to still be round but ill leave it to be sure.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1