Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Should I Separate my axies?

Zenna

Reaction score
Alright, so most everyone knows about my baby axies and that im very worrysome. since im new to the axie world, Im not 100% sure what im doing :p Should i separate my babys? im not sure what age their canibalistic-ness sets in, >< I'd say they're about 10 - 14 days old. maybe a lil bit older. im not sure. But I dont want them to be eating eachother and me just think they havent grown yet. =X Should i separate them? theres just 2. and they arent very old. But I dont know what age they're supposed to be separated at =X

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you have a large enough enclosure, and plenty of visual barriers, and offer enough food, you probably don't have to worry about cannibalism unless one is significantly larger than the other.

Zenna

Reaction score
well. theres a very small difference in size, i hand-feed them both till they're full. usually 2 or 3 bloodworms. xP since they're just about an inch in size, they're only in a 5 gal tank atm, they both stay at oppasite sides of the tank, occasionally going over and chilling beside eachother. you think they're okay together?

pent565

Reaction score
they sound fine together. Just watch the legs; If you notice any limbs going missing, you should probably break them up. My two new juvies have about two feet between them. I'm guessing they were with others before I got them. By between them, I mean one has one and a half feet, and two stubs and the other has half a foot, and three stubs. The limbs are now regrowing nicely.

Zenna

Reaction score
oh i see i see >< alright between my two i have 4 legs :p idk if the other in their tanks ate their back legs or they just havent grown yet, but thanks guys <3

Zenna

Reaction score
Alright, Well ive noticed mystery's starting to get a bit more aggressive, Specially around feeding time, when im feeding them she normally slurps back her worms, and goes over and sits on one of my others and then looks like shes attempting to bite them so they'll drop their food =X

She is starting to grow toes, so shes almost got her back legs fully grown. should I separate them? No limbs have gone missing yet but she is starting to get more aggressive..

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If one axolotl is being aggressive toward the others, then yes, it's probably a good idea to give that one a separate enclosure.

Use sandwich tubs, they make fantastic juvenile axolotl habitats!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you're doing daily water changes, they don't need any additional equipment.

I kept my larvae in sandwich containers until they were close to 8cm or so. Of course, the bigger they get, the more containers you need.

Zenna

Reaction score
alright. do i need to do 100% water changes if i dont use airstone? :eek: And DX I FEEL LIKE A BULLY! DX I put mystery in a lil bowl (All i could find for now) And Put her right beside the tank with Dot & Bubbles, Bubbles was trying soooooo hard to get into the bowl to go be with Mystery =[ i feel sooo mean T_T''

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You'll need to do roughly 100% water changes every day or every other day, depending on how big your tubs are. The bigger they are, the less often you'll need to change.

Be diligent about sucking up poop and not overfeeding.

Zenna

Reaction score
Alright thanks :) Can guys can u help? This is a semi-serious question >_< I think shes just swimming around the bowl, but when she does she just kinda chills there for a bit too. im not sure if shes floating or swimming X_X If shes floating, its not bad, because she can go down. >< but a few times ive seen her like that, then i watched her go back down slowly DX If shes floating, what can i do to help?

pent565

Reaction score
don't worry, babies use more of the water column than adults. The floating near the surface is only really an issue if its involuntary. The axie might be after more oxygen closer to the surface, or hoping food falls in.

lalalory

Reaction score
AW: Should I Separate my axies?

I have over 50 babies born on Christmas Eve and I started noticing remainders of axles in their container and a couple with axles in their mouths so I seperated them all but I see pics of babies in one container, isn't there an easier way? Do I just keep them all together according to their sizes? Will they not each other then?

xxianxx

Reaction score
Its not till a month old do you have problems with cannibalism, at around this stage the biggest individuals may start to eat the smallest, if your bothered by this its best to remove the biggest individuals or split the batch by size. You may have to keep doing this as they grow, the difference in growth rates between individuals can be great.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1