Short Legs

mjoyal4

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Matt
Both mine and my girlfriend's axolotls came from the same litter and both are about 4.5 inches (11.5cm) in length.
I noticed that the legs on my girlfriends are fairly long and well grown compared to the body. My guy seems to have legs almost half the size. Is there any reason for this difference in leg growth or is it just dependent on each axolotl?

I'm just curious. Seemed like an interesting thing to me.

They will grow faster depending on how you feed and treat your axie
Even if they are from thesame litter they could have been cannabalized from their legs and your girlfriends axie may have a slight headstart
Anyways, just make sure it has all it's fingers and it will be fine :)

Cheers

To summarize what Icarez said, some grow faster due to genetics. It can also be due to the way they are fed. Or it could be that once, the legs were eaten by another axie, and regenerated a little shorter.

or are half way through regenerating :D

some are just different. I've never seen two axolotls who look the same

alright, well it must be genetics then. Both are fed similarly and when we got them(approx 1in or 2.4cm) their legs were the same length. Then again, they were just these buds at the time. :p

Just curious about it. Thanks everyone.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back