Newt with a sore?

asglrain

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been losing a few newts recently. They all have this open sore that just seems to grow. It seems to be unaffected by tetracycline. I thought it was just a few but now alot of them have it and I dont wanna lose more.

weird i cant post a pic
heres a link i made for photobucket
newt pictures by asglrain - Photobucket

Ouch, I don't know much but I would isolate the ones with the sores into their each individual tuppoware w clean wet paper towel for starters and keep them extra cold like in a cooler with ice or something. Keep them clean and fed.

Keep trying that med you are using or see if anyone can offer you something else. I would try neosporin (the original formula not the pain one) on it too, to help fight off infection if its trying to happen.

Other forum members will be of much more help than me.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

That looks particularly nasty. Just wanted to start by saying that. I would probably try a couple things to start off with.

1. Move each newt to its own separate container (I use tuperware containers with holes int he lids or margarine containers with holes in the lids). Use damp parer towel as the substrate and place them in the fridge. This will help slow down the growth of the sores and help the newts if heat is stressing them out. An unstressed animal can heal better than a stressed one. The paper towel should be changed daily and the containers cleaned. This will help to remove any environmental factors that may be contributing to the cause.

2. Clean the open woulds with peroxide or iodine. This will topically kill any bacteria that might be the cause. Instructions can be found here: Caudata Culture Articles - Sores

3. I'd probably keep up with the antibiotic treatment. How long have you been using it for? Are the growths increasing in size? Have you taken them to a vet?

I separated 2 into a container and adjusted the fridge to cut out at 50F by a separate thermostat. Those 2 died with in a day. So i haven't seperated anymore and lost 2 more in my main tank.

The main tank has a chiller attached to it because here in Hawaii the temp is very high. The normal temp is 90F with high humidity. The chiller is set to 67F which it achieves easily cause its sized for a 200gal tank.

There are no real vets here for that because you need a permit just to have them here. Also traveling without its chiller would not be a good idea as the water will warm very quickly.

Been using Tetracycline for 2 days on the 2 separated which died and this is the 2nd day i dosed the entire tank with all left. I normally change 25% of the water in the main tank daily, but yesterday i didn't because the medicine packet said to add 1 more packet with out water change then 2 more days with 25% water change between doses.

Added 3 more pics tot he photobucket folder of the setup for separation
newt pictures by asglrain - Photobucket

I used hydrogen perxoide on 1 of the newts and it looks like I really hurt it as it really didnt like the burning which later died :(

Im not sure what elts I can do, im losing alot very quickly

I used hydrogen perxoide on 1 of the newts and it looks like I really hurt it as it really didnt like the burning which later died :(

Im not sure what elts I can do, im losing alot very quickly

Chances are he was already weakened by what is causing the bacterial and the antibiotic treatment. Treating caudates can be a risky business and it isn't uncommon for the treatment to end up killing the animal it was meant to help. The best treatment for caudates, and anything really, is prevention. The stress of shipping, treatment, and disease might just be too much for them.

I can't think of anything I can recommend that would be risk free for your little guys and I can't think of anything to add to what I have already said. Just keep trying with the treatment you are using and hope that some of them pull through. Maybe another member has more to add? :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back