Moved to the big tank

pent565

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I just put Ophelia and Hamlet in the big, 75 gallon monster tank thats been running for months in preparation for them. Its a paradise of live java moss, java fern, hornwort, pvc pipe connectors for caves, a big driftwood, and a few coldwater fish I've had keeping in cycled.

I don't think they've ever seen real plants before, Ophelia tried to eat the first java moss she came across. She's sticking her face in everything, checking it out... While Hamlet sits in a pvc Y, chillin. They're both being so polite, its like they don't want to move anything. Its funny how gentle they are with my plants, after I put so much time into securing them against violent thrashings.

The fish started out treating the 'lotls like there was an invisible bubble around them, but they've lost that healthy habit. oop she just ate a white cloud...

The light I have for my plants must be dim enough for them; they don't seem to mind it on. Now if I can just get that darn algae under control, we'll be walking on sunshine.

Sounds great~
it will be super great if you can post some pictures~
I just upgraded to 55 Gallon and I've been feeding empty tank~ lol

The light I have for my plants must be dim enough for them; they don't seem to mind it on. Now if I can just get that darn algae under control, we'll be walking on sunshine.

The reduced lighting helps algae control, i use snails and shrimps to keep it down aswell and they inturn provide my axolotls with snacks.

ok, here are some pics. I was nervous about snails, the combination of might eat my plants, or might make my axies ill made me cautious of them. The Axolotls look so small in this tank, but they really aren't as little as they look in there. I'm still in the process of filling it, the tank is such a beast. I add two 10L jugs of conditioned water every few days. They add about two cm or so in water level each.

There is a sheet of plexiglass still in there on an angle, as the tank used to be terrestrial with a water feature. I left it in, as a place to hide, and eventually I'll put more on the smaller side of it, where the plants don't really grow.

It looks kinda cluttered, I've got to do some aquascaping in there at some point. The tank is my headboard for my bed, and is as long as the bed is wide.

Its not actually as bright as it looks, the exposure on my camera is up.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 204
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 207
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 200
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 227
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 216
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back